Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Tan Hill - Cat and Fiddle. Help please, especially from the more senior members!

Author: Peter Simpson
Posted: Sat 27th Oct 2012, 19:08
Local Group: West Lancashire
Hi there, I'm sorry that what I think is my first post on this forum is a request for help, but I'm struggling with a project of mine.

Many of you will have heard of the Tan Hill to Cat and Fiddle route. It was originated by the Rucksack Club many years ago, and connects the two highest pubs in England.

I'm trying to compile a full record of all attempts on this route whether successful or not. Many will have been done in the 1970/1980/1990s which is obviously before the internet age, so details will probably not have been recorded in any centralised manner. I am talking to Rucksack Club, and other like minded organisations to see what records are available in their archives.

I know that a strong LDWA party of Ann Sayer, Chris Dodd, Mike Powell Davies and Martyn Greaves completed the route, and I have a copy of their report. I know of other LDWA members who started, but didn't always finish. Frank Yates, Gerry Orchard, Guy Collinson, Howard Sawyer and Mike Hartley are all known about.

What I'm asking for is quite simple. Do any of you know anything about any attempts on this route at any time? I would appreciate any memories you might have, or copies of any reports/plans that are still lingering in your dusty old records.

Now for the tricky bit!!!!

I'm out of the country for the remainder of the year, so please don't e-mail or PM me direct.
I have a "slave" doing the hard work for me and I'd be pleased if you could send any information direct to him.
He is.....

Frank Yates(Yes it's him!)
e-mail mickledore@waitrose.com

May I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Pete Simpson.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law