Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Has anyone else...

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2012, 21:27
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I think walkers have dropped dead doing LDWA walks but I haven't heard of anyone getting murdered - perhaps one for our historians... maybe in September's special Strider edition?
Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2012, 0:10
Yes, bemusing the locals is quite common! On the Saturday evening of the WOW I met a dog walker who, when told what I was doing, asked whether I was sure I was going to get back that night. Oh yes, I assured him - probably at about 6am. He didn't know quite what to say to that, but wished me luck.

The police this time round didn't appear to believe me at first, until they asked how far I'd already done - attempting to walk 53 miles starting in the middle of the night would clearly have been a bit too suspicious, but attempting to walk 53 miles having already completed 40 of them was apparently accepted. I was told that the area "contained several sites of interest to the police", which was why they were out there - I wasn't sure exactly what that was supposed to mean (drug dens? scrap dealers accepting stolen cables?) but it made me a bit nervous for the next couple of miles - I didn't really want to go down in LDWA history for getting murdered during an event!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 16th Aug 2012, 21:57
Local Group: Surrey
We were stopped at about 1am by the Surrey Police on the Games Hundred Marshals’ walk. They had been alerted by a local resident to a flow of suspicious people carrying suspicious lights following a suspicious route into the hills. Drug dealers? Devil Worshipers? Black Mass?

We explained what we were doing and it was accepted with some alarm and disbelief – if these people are crazy enough to walk 100 miles maybe they are a danger to themselves and others around them? – but they were happy when we gave them the emergency phone number – ah, at least someone is looking after them. The looks of alarm returned when my walking partner mentioned that about 500 (equally crazy) people would be doing the same thing in a month’s time.
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Wed 15th Aug 2012, 19:01
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
On Saturday (Herts Stroller) I was not stopped by the Police - but I was asked why on earth someone would want to walk 53 miles. Then a bit later on I was asked if I was doing the event as part of the Olympics! At the time I certainly felt nothing like an Olympian, but it was nice that somebody thought it was an Olympian effort. Katie
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Tue 14th Aug 2012, 22:52
Local Group: West Yorkshire
It wasn't the police, but we had quite a few people ask what we were doing on Saturday (on Herts Stroller). Isn't it funny when you tell them what you're doing (or more specifically, how far) - their eyes get bigger and bigger! And then they shake their head and mutter something like "nutters"!
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2012, 0:08
... been stopped by the police on a challenge event? Happened to me on the Herts Stroller in the early hours of Sunday - they couldn't quite fathom why anyone would be wandering around country lanes in the middle of the night. They took my name and address, asked me what I was doing, accepted the explanation and wished me luck for the remainder of the event. No harm done, and I suppose it'll be something to tell my grandchildren about!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law