Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Olympic Gamesmakers

Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2012, 15:53
Local Group: Lakeland
An experience of a lifetime might be a cliche but that is precisely what two weeks at Excel was. The first day was a bit ragged at the edges, but once minor initial teething problems were sorted and word got out that all those people in purple uniforms were volunteers, then it was a wonderful place to be. A million people passed through the building during the course of the games. The noise in the boxing arena when a GB fighter came on was unbelievable, but winners from other countries were cheered too.

One little story out of many. One of the girls was manning a control door into the building when a people carrier pulled up. A man in jogging bottoms and a sweatshirt got out and the security man with him asked that he be let in, but he didn't have the correct accreditation for that door so she refused to admit him. The security man had come to the wrong door, and the man apologised politely and moved on . The name on the accreditation was William Gates.
Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2012, 20:20
You should be able to pick us out on TV - we are wearing very smart purple and red uniforms. The only problem is that 70,000 of us are wearing identical uniforms!
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sat 21st Jul 2012, 9:12
Local Group: East Lancashire
I was a volunteer at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester. I worked as a driver / chaperone for the anti doping team. Very interesting.
My first charge was to chaperone Cadel Evans after he won Gold in the road race.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Tue 17th Jul 2012, 19:32
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Ian Sage from BBN has a volunteer job as an Information Point Team Member working 6 shifts in the Mall and Hyde Park
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2012, 21:21
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Reporting for duty at Heathrow, Terminal 5 on Thursday 19th.
Everything will run like clockwork !
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2012, 8:58
Anyone else working on the Olympics as a Gamesmaker (Olympicspeak for volunteer)? I will be at Excel where seven of the indoor sports will be held. The building is 600 metres long - may get as much walking as on an LDWA event!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law