Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Winchester to Canterbury

Author: Colin Saunders
Posted: Mon 25th Jun 2012, 9:52
Local Group: London
I'm away myself shortly but I'll check out your blog on my return. Enjoy the walk!
Colin
Author: Ned Spencer
Posted: Sat 23rd Jun 2012, 19:15
Local Group: South Manchester
Thanks for the information Colin
I'll let you know how I get on
Or you could follow my blog!
http://nedspilgrimsway.wordpress.com/
Posted: Sat 23rd Jun 2012, 9:22
PPS. Sorry, should have read yours more closely! The NDW signage is generally very good and often excellent, especially in Kent which has some very impressive wooden fingerposts, if they haven't been vandalised. However there are some gaps so pay attention to the (updated) route instructions!
Posted: Sat 23rd Jun 2012, 9:20
PS I've just bought a copy of 'The Pilgrims' Way - fact or fiction of an ancient trackway' by Derek Bright, which may be of interest if you don't already have it. Published by The History Press, £14.99 in bookshops (Amazon from £7.69).
Posted: Sat 23rd Jun 2012, 9:16
Ned, I wouldn't expect you to buy the new book if you already have the old one but I have to warn you that it's badly out of date in many places. Originally Aurum Press just asked me to update the original but after one day I found I was practically rewriting the thing, so they asked to come up with a completely new and revamped edition, which contains much more information. You should be able to get hold of it from a library.
Posted: Wed 20th Jun 2012, 14:25
Thanks Colin
I've purchased the NDW guide by Neil Curtis and Jim Walker which looks OK

Are there plenty of sign posts on the NDW?

I am thinking I'll use the NDW more than the PW for most of the walk

Maybe try the PW through Aylesford
Ned
Posted: Sun 17th Jun 2012, 11:23
Ned
By coincidence you’ve come to the right place! I was the Route Liaison Officer for the LDWA Games 100 and am the author of the official guidebook for the North Downs Way. Although the Pilgrims Way is probably better known, it’s impractical to walk it in total as so much is now either busy road or inaccessible. The NDW is a much better walking route (I would say that wouldn’t I) as most is on footpaths, bridleways etc and about a third of it is on the PW. It also provides better views as the PW generally follows a shelf halfway up the scarp slope while much of the NDW follows the ridge. The NDW provides two alternatives at its east end: one via Canterbury (much of it on the PW), the other via Folkestone (which I personally prefer as it provides more interesting walking with a spectacular approach into Dover). No pressure to buy the book but if you’re interested it’s published by Aurum Press at £14.99 from booksellers or Amazon £10.49 – if you do go to Amazon make sure it’s the latest version by me as they’re still showing out-of-date editions. There’s also a new edition (published by General Books) of Hilaire Belloc’s journey along the PW in 1904 – no good as a guidebook but a fascinating read. Hope this helps.
Colin Saunders
Posted: Tue 5th Jun 2012, 21:13
I am planning to walk from Winchester to Canterbury. Ideally I'd like to use the original Pilgrims Way where possible but understand that the North Downs Way is more practical.

Are both routes signposted? Are there many differences between the two?

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Ned

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law