Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - health

Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Wed 5th Apr 2006, 15:43
Local Group: Marches
Hi there - That seems an excellent idea to write an article to promote health via walking, if my partner can help in anyway with his story he would be more than happy to assist you. In the days we have now of expensive gyms, dietry fads, as well as health problems such as heart disease and diabetes, I suspect the article would be extremely good publicity for the organisation, and of interest to many. He's not a member of the diabetic association as far as I am aware, but was diagnosed 5 years ago.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 3rd Apr 2006, 11:46
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Rebecca hi there, I'm the Publicity Officer on the National Committee. You mentioned about your partner being Diabetic. Did he belong to any diabetes association?
I was thinking if we could use that as part of an article about how long distance walking could be good for your health.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Mon 3rd Apr 2006, 11:15
Local Group: High Peak
that sounds great rebbecca, I took up walking when i got married (just had to get out of the house)lol
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 28th Mar 2006, 15:20
Local Group: Marches
My partner was a type 2 diabetic when I met him, was 15 stone and very unfit. He took up walking when he met me and promptly lost 2 stone in weight. He felt so well he stopped taking his medication last summer. Last week he went to the doctors for his annual diabetic check up and all his results came back normal. It is so sad that doctors seem to be quick to prescribe medication instead of promoting a change in lifestyle. Thanks to the encouragement of the LDWA he is now medication free,and has completed several 50 milers and is having a crack at the 100mile this year. Is this story unique or are there any other cases of 'miracle cures' after lifestyle changes?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law