Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - What to do for my next walk

Posted: Tue 5th Jun 2012, 0:25
Thanks both. I will almost certianly choose the Pennine way as the more I look into it the more I like it. Currently I am looking at a mid week start in early April but will firm things up later this year.

I will blog, gps track, and take lots of pictures during the walk.

Cheers,

-Devin
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2012, 20:38
Local Group: South Wales
I'd probably echo the Pennine Way idea, if you want a classic British walk without the crowds. I walked the PW in 1998 and again last year, and it was a lot quieter last year as, apparently, the casual walkers tackle the Coast to Coast instead. It's a very varied walk, with clear zones that transition into each other. There are parts I'd change, sure, but it's not the granddaddy of British walks for nothing.

Another option that might suit your criteria, although for which I've less personal experience, might be Offa's Dyke.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Mon 21st May 2012, 23:03
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Delvin, Your first choice of the Pennine way is good. Not crowded except in a few places such as Malham. Good Accommodation throughout with hostels and B & Bs. I did it recently in three bits and enjoyed every step - even in the rain. Visit Vindolander for half a day you will not be disappointed) (http://www.vindolanda.com/) and maybe Haworth (home of the Bronte Family) (http://www.haworth.yorks.com/) if the Bronte Family interest you. The outstanding scenery, the sense of isolation and the sheer physical exertion will all play a part in your enjoyment of this top walk. Train service to the start via Sheffield and bus service via Kelso back to Berwick on Tweed where you can catch a train from the finish at Kirk Yetholme. Good Luck, John
Posted: Mon 21st May 2012, 18:27
I have long admired the LDWA site and have just become a member. As an American I don’t make it to the UK as much as I would like and thus have only done a single Long Distance Walk which was the West Highland Way with my brother in 2008. It was simply one of the most thrilling adventures I have ever done and a vacation I will cherish for all time.

I plan on doing the Fife Coastal Path with my wife later this year but I am starting to tinker with coming out next year ( April/May timeframe ) for a solo LDW.

Currently I am considering the Pennine Way or perhaps a Coast to Coast walk but I am willing to consider pretty much anything. I am primarily looking for a longer walk (~200 miles) that I can do in 2 full weeks or perhaps 3.

I am hoping to get some advice more experienced folks such as yourselves so I am going to list a few things that are important to me to help see if you can direct me to something appropriate.

1) I would prefer to have a less crowded walk. I love meeting people along the way and walking with them but I don’t want huge crowds.
2) I don’t wish to wild camp. Just getting too old for that (I am 44).
3) I found the baggage transfer on the WHW to be a good way to travel light and enjoy the walk a bit more.
4) I love visiting historical sites so any path with these along the way is of interest.

Thanks for any advice you are willing to share.

Thanks.

-Devin Matlock

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law