Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Woldsman 2013

Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Fri 26th Apr 2013, 12:09
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Martin,

Post your email address, then I'll send them to you!
Author: Martin Southwick
Posted: Fri 26th Apr 2013, 5:48
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Folks

Has anyone got any links to previous years results at all please ??

Thank you
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 16th Apr 2013, 12:35
Mike Dobson's blog gives a great account of his 2013 Woldsman with some atmospheric pics, click below

http://mike-viewfromtherear.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/woldsman-13th-april-2013.html
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 15th Apr 2013, 14:22
Local Group: Staffordshire
As others have already said - thank you for all the great organisation and support. Food was great - a good variety and very edible. Lots of cups of tea also - even a brew at Huggate in the tent (thanks Dave!) - and the bean stew at the end was really delicious. Thank you.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 15th Apr 2013, 14:22
Local Group: Staffordshire
As others have already said - thank you for all the great organisation and support. Food was great - a good variety and very edible. Lots of cups of tea also - even a brew at Huggate in the tent (thanks Dave!) - and the bean stew at the end was really delicious. Thank you.
Author: Sheena Findlay
Posted: Mon 15th Apr 2013, 14:00
Local Group: Wiltshire
Thank you to all of you who organised and ran The Woldsman. I'm so pleased I managed to finish my first 50 mile challenge. Couldn't have done it without the great support from everyone.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Mon 15th Apr 2013, 7:09
Thanks John.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 22:38
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks EYLDWA. Excellent food. Nice weather (not too hot and for me at least the rain held off). I could do with a house without stairs at the moment, but no doubt my legs will recover soon. (Can you alter the route in the second half to avoid all those steep ups and downs please?!) Huge thanks to who ever handed in my wedding ring at Givendale scout hut - obviously much appreciated!
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 22:19
Ian's photos here with the active link:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=40890672
Author: Gillian Mostyn
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 21:46
Local Group: East Lancashire
I would just like to thank and congratulate everyone at EYLDWA for their hard work organising and running the Woldsman 2013. It was my first 50mile event and I found the attention to detail at the event amazing - everything was done to make the event run as smoothly and easy for the competitors as possible. Marking the tricky night sections with lights was much appreciated! Many thanks.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 21:41
A few more photos can be found here........... http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=40890672
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 21:29
Nope, wrong one, but this one should do it......

https://picasaweb.google.com/112249886643288772055/Woldsman2013
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 21:25
Paul Tremere has taken a few pix of yesterday's Woldsman; the link below should be active with a little luck. Thanks everyone for coming!

[url=https://picasaweb.google.com/112249886643288772055/Woldsman2013[/url]
Posted: Fri 12th Apr 2013, 15:21
Thanks very much Paul
Posted: Fri 12th Apr 2013, 8:23
The route is essentialy the same, just a few minor / subtle changes to the way it is described.
The way on the ground has not changed, a few words on the page have, especially regarding temporary hazards.
If your map is marked up, there is nothing to worry about.
Posted: Thu 11th Apr 2013, 22:32
Having downloaded the latest RD that was determined in march sometime, can anyone tell me if there are any significant changes to the one posted on april 6th. (Yes, I could check myself but simply wont get time between now and the event itself)

Thanks all
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Thu 11th Apr 2013, 9:50
Local Group: Dorset
Try Here
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Thu 11th Apr 2013, 8:13
Local Group: Marches
Hi - I can't find the link for the RD on the website?
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2013, 19:38
Up to date Woldsman Route Description is posted on East Yorkshire LDWA website.
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/EastYorkshire

Entries accepted on the day, £20.
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Wed 20th Feb 2013, 9:07
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Here's the link to the Woldsman GPX file.

Please check the latest route description for any amendments.
Posted: Wed 20th Feb 2013, 6:45
Go to Simon Leck's Moorland Challenge website; challenge walks, anytimes, socials etc are shown there. Contact me if you want more - rushing out to a walk right now

John
Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2013, 18:00
Does anyone have a GPX file for the route at all please ??
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2013, 17:17
Local Group: Northumbria
Yes. Stalin was very good at that. As people were purged, their faces were airbrushed out of photos, until only one or two remained in what was a group photo.
Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2013, 17:02
Crikey Simon, that's a bit Stalinist; George Orwell would have been onto that - and if they were pictured in Strider, would there be a blank space there..LOL
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2013, 7:28
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi John,

These people have left the LDWA and so their name (and joined date) is no longer displayed.

Simon.
Posted: Mon 18th Feb 2013, 20:35
Not particularly relevant to The Woldsman (but you can't find a much better walk!); how do three posts with no author assigned show in this thread, when originally the name was there. Have I missed something Simon? Is this a pseudonym by the back door?
Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2013, 20:30
With reference to the lengthy thread in the Bothy, may I "communicate to members in a clear and unambiguous way" that dogs are not allowed on the Woldsman. This is clearly stated on the entry form.
Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2013, 15:18
Just a reminder about this year’s Woldsman on 13th April.

50 miles in the countryside that inspired Hockney’s Bigger Picture. An ideal warm up for the hundred as well as a manageable introduction to longer distances.

20 hour time limit, with a cut off at 25 miles after 9 hours, starting from Driffield Show Ground (018566) at 8 o'clock
Entry £17 in advance, £20 on the day.

Entry forms available from;
99 York Road, Driffield, East Yorkshire, YO25 5AY
eyldwa_entries@btinternet.com
Posted: Sun 23rd Dec 2012, 20:14
That's a country with really long long distance paths!
Posted: Wed 19th Dec 2012, 21:59
Sorry to say I'll be missing next year's Woldsman, along with all other LDWA events in the immediate future - just got myself a job in China!
Posted: Fri 31st Aug 2012, 19:40
Michael - look forward to your participation next year and you will certainly do a better time! Not so sure I can do any support work as suffering from plantar fasciitis, and walking any distance is a problem but will be totally devastated if I can't do the Marshals and sweeping for the greatest walk in the East Riding of Yorkshire!
Posted: Wed 29th Aug 2012, 12:32
Paul, thanks for the reassurance - although as far as I'm aware only one person got timed out of this month's Herts Stroller for failing to reach 43 miles in 17 hours, and that was me! I appear to be getting slower - although I suspect that on this year's Woldsman John and Murray's assistance was a major factor, if I'd had to navigate the entire course by myself I'd probably have been at least an hour later.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Wed 29th Aug 2012, 9:07
A route description is given to entrants and it is very straightforward. However, you won't get it until about a week before the event as several sections of the route go over private land and negotiations for access needed. Pre reccying is not an option, as access given for the day only. A good route with not too much climbing and great refreshments at checkpoints.
Author: Ross Weston
Posted: Tue 28th Aug 2012, 18:40
Sold !!

I've done plenty of 26milers, but my one and only attempt at 50miles (Long Mynd Hike) ended at 44miles with a touch of mild Hypothermia.

Now armed with better kit, I'm hoping to be fighting fit next year.

One further question, is a route description given to entrants ?
Posted: Tue 28th Aug 2012, 17:55
Entries are accepted on the day for £20. There is plenty of room at Driffield Show Ground and I doubt if we will attract over 500 entrants.
Although it is not a race, the quickest completion time in the event's five years is 7:38.
The average (middle time, with as many finishers in front as there are behind) is around 15:25.
As my previous posts suggest, the Woldsman is appropriate for all levels of walking experience.
I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge.
Author: Ross Weston
Posted: Mon 27th Aug 2012, 22:03
I'm seriously tempted by this one.

Is it a quick 50 (if there is such a thing) ?

And does it fill up quickly, (I was going to leave it until 2013 to enter on account of the Loch Ness Marathon eating up quite a bit of disposable income over the next few months) ?
Posted: Sun 26th Aug 2012, 8:16
Fear not ! 91% of all starters have finished the event within the required time limits.
The slowest time ever recorded to complete the Woldsman is 19 hours 23 minutes. Only one walker, in the last five years, has failed to make the 9 hour cut off at Thixendale.

This makes the Woldsman an ideal event for those attempting 50 miles for the first time, as well as providing a great warm up, or qualifier for the Hundred.
Posted: Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 14:38
Entry forms also on the East Yorks website. Turn up next year and make it another record busting attendance everyone!
Posted: Thu 23rd Aug 2012, 14:36
Michael, as I was Sweeper this year, I assure you that you left the halfway, village hall Thixendale, at around 5pm, ie 9 hrs after the start. So same next year. Having got home at 4.15am, I would prefer an earlier cut-off but that's another story!
Posted: Tue 21st Aug 2012, 23:39
Thanks Paul - I enjoyed this year's Woldsman and hope I'll be able to enter the next event, but I'm not sure yet whether I'll actually be in the UK at the time!

Is the cut-off of 25 miles in 9 hours the same as this year? I've a vague recollection that it was 25 in 10, but I may be wrong. At 19:14 for the whole thing this year I'd be pushing it to get halfway in 9.
Posted: Mon 20th Aug 2012, 21:14
Entry forms for "Woldsman 2013" on 13th April 2013 are now available from;
99 York Road, Driffield, East Yorkshire, YO25 5AY
eyldwa_entries@btinternet.com

50 miles in 20 hours, with a cut off at 25 miles after 9 hours, starting from Driffield Show Ground at 8 o'clock
Entry £17 in advance, £20 on the day.

Come and experience the rolling hills and big skies that inspired Hockney's Bigger Picture.
Posted: Wed 9th May 2012, 19:35
Woldsman 2013 will take place on Saturday 13th April 2013.
The Event is now well established in the walking calendar and entry forms will be available in the autumn.
More details later.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law