Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Woldsman 2012

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 24th May 2012, 13:52
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Thanks Michael - I was one of those sweepers, Murray Scott the other, who were delighted to see you complete the walk in challenging conditions!
Posted: Sun 20th May 2012, 19:54
Many thanks to everyone involved in running the event - and in particular to the two sweepers, who guided me round the latter half of the course and without whose assistance I wouldn't have made it as far as Wetwang!
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 14:39
Woldsman 2012 photographs may be viewed by following this link (I hope!)
https://picasaweb.google.com/112249886643288772055/Woldsman2012
(you may have to copy and paste into your browser)
Photographs taken by; Martin Dawes, Ian Sykes and Paul Tremere
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Wed 9th May 2012, 19:26
Congratulations to the 169 finishers on Woldsman 2012. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Sincere thanks to the 37 volunteers who made the Event possible. Some enduring long shifts in unfriendly conditions.
Every LDWA Event depends upon a team of dedicated volunteers who willingly give their time to make everything happen. In common with many other groups, East Yorkshire always seems to rely upon the same dependable band. Unfortunately they cannot go on forever. Whilst there is no immediate crisis, I do believe that an injection of new blood is required to preserve future Events.
Woldsman 2013 will take place on 13th April 2013. The real challenge is to do the Marshals’ Walk on 6th April and join the volunteers on the Event one week later. Any East Yorkshire members willing to join the volunteer team will be made most welcome. There is plenty of work to be done!
Author: Doreen Viney
Posted: Wed 2nd May 2012, 19:34
Local Group: West Lancashire
This was our first Woldsman and we had been told to expect good food at the checkpoints and this was certainly the case especially at Sledmere and Thixendale where the pasta and the apple crumble went down a treat. I agree with Eileen about the bean stew though . Whether it had been kept too long in the pan or what but for us who were more towards the back than the front it was pretty dreadful. Soup would have been a better option.
The lights were really useful especially across the fields and back to the hut.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 1st May 2012, 9:43
We were very lucky to get a relatively rain-free window for the event and I found my knee stood up to sweeping - I had been concerned about the ascents from Millington onwards. It was great to see so many entrants braving the forecast (and considering the Fellsman clashed with us) and everyone seems to have enjoyed it.

Thanks must go to those brave souls at checkpoints and particularly late in the walk as the wind must have taken the "feels like" temperature to near zero. The only problem with sweeping is that you don't get to see many walkers, but it was enjoyable. I thought the bean casserole was fine!
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 17:24
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi all

New member & first post

Thank you EYLDWA for sucha fantastic and well organised event. The various glow sticks used were a fantastic aid in the dark.

Food and hospitality at all check points was spot on, I agree the walk up and out of Wharram Percy was a definate challenge!

See everyone next year
Author: John Knight
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 13:15
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
Eileen - the bean stew was the best bit of catering on the whole event! Wish there'd been some available at Huggate Wold - it would have given me enough fuel in the tank to get through the remaining 14 miles.

Though I DNF'ed, I still enjoyed the event (except for that interminable muddy field edge - allegedly a path - after Wharram Percy!).

In the words of someone or other: "I shall return".

John
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 9:54
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks also for having an 8.00 start. I know some of the hardcore might think that the whole point of a 50 is to spend a few hours navigating in the dark, but having undertaken a 6 hour rail journey to get to Driffield, I actually wanted to see as much as possible of the Wolds, an area I hadn't visited for 20 years. They were lovely, even with that squally East wind straight off the North Sea. Thanks to all the East Yorks helpers for putting on such a memorable event and for taking time off from writing missives to each other on this website!
Author: Thomas Sellers
Posted: Sun 29th Apr 2012, 21:53
Local Group: Lakeland
I agree. A superb day out, and not too much rain, though the wind on Saturday night made it hard to get any sleep in my tent. I think Thixendale needs a bigger village hall though.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sun 29th Apr 2012, 19:52
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I'm glad I was up the Wolds this wet April. Not much mud at all, I was pleasantly suprised to see. And the Dales bottoms were just nice pleasant green soft carpets on the feet! With enough ascent to keep it a challenge.

What a cracking event. What good views. The Wolds have their own peculiar sort of atmoshphere.One of the few 50 mile qualifying events for the 100 up in the North. Or indeed the UK. I was impressed with the number of check points at well spaced intervals all offering hot drinks. And the food was good too! A good balance of sweet and savoury.
Not too sure about the bean stew at the end though sorry! Nice try though.

Thank you to all organisers and helpers,marshalls,sweeper uppers and toilet unblockers!
Overall a wonderful 50 mile event.Don't miss it next year folks..

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law