Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wye Forest 52

Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 22:52
Local Group: Bristol & West
Although a walk of 52 miles as opposed to 62.5 of the Dorset Giant and Wellington Boot (the other two in the south west triple challenge)it proved to be more difficult ,A walk of two distinct parts, the first section from Lydney to English Bicknor good paths ,some tough climbs and wounderful clear views especially around St Briavels although the narrow path high in the wood just after St Briavels took some care watch where your feet are going or there was a long steep drop As a slower walker for me the second part started from English Bicknor as coming out of the check point it was as black as the coal they mine for in the forest ,cold strong wind and the heavy rain that had been forcast to spoil things (i think Dave Street ordered it specially to make it harder) the next 14.5 miles was horendous mud and water lying on the forest tracks making progress slow and your boots three times as heavy,not much fun you might say,the saving grace though the excellent check points with smiling welcomes good food and hot drinks.I arrived back at Lydney cold and very wet at about 3 30am glad to be back in the warm school and although we could not find the last clipper (brains were frozen or someone had pinched it ?) Niether Jenny Reed or Dave Street sent us around again thank goodness .Thankyou Bristol and West,Dorset,Cornwall and Devon and all.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2012, 20:38
Local Group: Staffordshire
Yes indeed. Thank you to everyone involved in organising/supporting this event. Really lovely walking, and hardly any road walking. Those of us walking through the night and into the morning really appreciated those warm indoor checkpoints to shelter from the wind and cold rain - we just sat down and folks brought food and warm drinks - we recovered and went out again - a big thank you!
The fruit cake at c/point 2 deserves a special mention - it was delicious.
Author: Alan Champion
Posted: Sun 29th Apr 2012, 23:33
Local Group: Marches
Seconded. What a cheery lot of marshals. Excellent nosh at dinner. Lovely salty biscuits at last CP were just what was needed. Thanks a lot.
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Sun 29th Apr 2012, 13:14
Local Group: South Wales
Tough walk completed this morning, 52ml Wye Forest in somewhat testing conditions especially the mud - 15hr51. Organisation excellent and marvellous well-stocked checkpoints. Many thanks to all the volunteers from Bristol & West, Wilts, Dorset and Cornwall & Devon LDWA, especially Dave Street & Jenny Reed for all their hard work.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law