Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - John O'Groats to Lands End

Posted: Wed 11th Apr 2012, 18:01
Ian,
I have led two groups, (one male and one female) on the N3PC. We were lucky with good weather on both occasions. The men were just 2 minutes over 20 hours and the Ladies only 24 minutes slower. Our transport was an old slow mini bus, however both groups were Fell runners, although the only trotting we did was on the descent of Ben Nevis and part of the Snowdon descent. Scafell Pike was done at night from Wasdale Head, as this is the shortest although steepist route and I know it really well, even at night. With the men we were up and back down in 2hrs 26mins and all of it walked.
The weather is going to be a big factor. Most groups tend to do the Scafell route from Seathwaite, but this takes much longer and many come to grief navigating at night, descending via the Corridor Route, but end up going too far left before Sty Head and end up at Wasdale Head instead. During the most popular charity weekend the taxi drivers do a bomb transporting the 60 or so who fall into that trap, all the way back round to Seathwaite. Of course by that time there's no way they are not going to complete the whole thing inside of 24 hours.
The only advice I can give if any is get a good GPS for the scafell route especially if doing it at night. Make sure evryone gets prepared for each section while travelling between stages so that you will all be ready for the off as soon as you reach your start points. make sure everyone has a good headtorch or whatever with a good beam (many LED headtorches are not suitable for nightime mountain navigation) with BRAND NEW batteries. It only takes one team member to get things like this wrong and the entire team is affected and slowed.
Be aware that if going by Wasdale Head, the stream crossing at the base of Brown Tongue is particularly subject to heavy water surge following heavy rain, and it is often impassible.
If that is the case then an alternative would have to be made either by going via Sty Head and Corridor Route or Lingmell (Very steep).
Ban Nevis and Snowdon routes are very straightforward so you shouldn't have any problems on them. On Snowdon I would use the Pig Track.
Hope this helps.
Dave.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 11th Apr 2012, 17:16
Local Group: Lakeland
Ian,
I hope you are successful in completing the National 3 Peaks Challenge. Can I just mention one or two important points that you should bear in mind.

1. Like the vast majority of N3PC walkers, you are attempting the challenge over a midsummer weekend, taking advantage of the maximum hours of daylight. This means that at the weekend Seathwaite is inundated with white minibuses and hordes of N3PC walkers, many of whom arrive during the hours of darkness. Please remember that the residents of Seathwaite and the Borrowdale valley, many of whom are working farmers, have a reasonable expectation of being able to sleep unaccompanied by the noise of speeding cars, banging vehicle doors and noisy walkers.

2. It may be midsummer but Lake District weather can be pretty grim at any time of year, and can change very quickly. Make sure that you have the necessary skills, equipment and leadership to avoid having to call out mountain rescue. The local papers and national media regularly get steamed up about the lack of preparation by some N3PC walkers. Take a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-14785361 for an example from last year.

3. Local businesses gain very little from the N3PC events, but locals have to clear up the mess that is left. It may be difficult to patronise local businesses on the event, but try not to leave litter and at least consider making a donation to Fix the Fells.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend.
Author: Dennis Gilbert
Posted: Wed 11th Apr 2012, 9:41
Local Group: Bristol & West
I read Mark Moxon's book "When I walk, I bounce; a walk from L E to J o G" and other than "Jude the Obscure" it was the most depressing book I have ever read. I was very interested in reading it as he followed many long distance paths that I had walked and I was hoping to get some vicarious pleasure from walking with him. I have enjoyed tremendously all the ldp's I have done (about 100) bar one, The Timeless Way, but M M found no pleasure in them and his book is a long detailed account of self inflicted misery. Weather, boots, route, terrain, people, accommodation all contributed towards his unhappiness.
I am not risking reading any more of his books or looking at his website in case they cause me more misery.
I wonder what other members think about his LEJOG book.
Posted: Sun 8th Apr 2012, 16:16
Myself and 15 other people are attempting the National Three Peaks Challenge on June 30th/July 1st this year (2012) and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has attempted this challenge: the highs and low points especially. We are all attempting this challenge for charity - every walker is doing it for their own individual charity - and we have a meeting arranged on the 15th April. At that meeting I would like to present the group with ALL the facts about the challenge and let them know exactly what to expect. Also as we are doing this challenge on our own - how do we validate those who actually complete it? Many thanks in advance. Ian
Posted: Tue 27th Dec 2011, 19:39
Hi Ian,

Google Mark Moxon and you will find his excellent web site. He completed the walk a few years ago and has lots of useful links including people who had only completed the walk this summer. Good luck with the planning and your adventure next year.
Posted: Mon 19th Dec 2011, 19:13
I am planning a charity walk next year from John O'Groats to Lands End and want to incorporate The Great Glen Way, The West Highland Way, as much of The Pennine Way as I can, The Cotswold Way and part of the South West Coast Path.

Is there anyone out there that has actually done this walk? Are there any books on this walk - all the books I have found seem to be going the other way : Lands End to John O'Groats.

Any information that anyone out there can give me will be much appreciated.

Ian Jackson

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law