Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Games 100

Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 12th Dec 2011, 23:43
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Oh well Roy- a Master of the 100! The Renault Scenic is a good vehicle to sleep in I bet- I haven't slept on one but driven one a few times- roomy though! But I was right - you got a good car to sleep in, at least after the 100.

Have a good breakfast on the next 100.
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Mon 12th Dec 2011, 13:08
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Eileen,
Just an old Renault Scenic, but remove the seats, drop in single airbed & sleeping bag, hey presto, peace & comfort personyfied.
My only hassle is breakfast, i do like a good tuck-in before the "Fray" starts.
I fully agree though, a good night before is most beneficial and for me !! This seems to work.
Not a novice at this though! Hopefully will make this my 16th.
See you there.
Roy.
Posted: Tue 6th Dec 2011, 23:19
And I forgot to say- I wish you well, true tight Yorkshire man Roy. Enjoy the Games 100 and enjoy.
Posted: Tue 6th Dec 2011, 22:53
Ha Roy. If all goes to plan that is! You must have a good comfy big car. And plans can and do go wrong. One sound bit of advice I got from an ex LDWA member (Jim Goodman), was always have a good bed the night before the 100.And I agree for the event itself. My Yaris isn't a good bed! Not even after the event before the drive home.

One sound bit of advice I give anyone (and myself) is don't drive more than 50 miles (say an hour) if you haven't slept well after the event. Money doesn't come into the safety equation.
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Mon 5th Dec 2011, 15:35
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
A true, tight , Yorkshireman like myself, sleeps in the car, Frid & Sund nights, arises to watch the stalwart finishers while eating breakfast, then suitably refreshed set off on the drive to Yorkshire.
If all goes to plan, that is, i did'nt enter the last two !!
Wish me well.
Roy.
Posted: Wed 23rd Nov 2011, 13:34
Armorel- I book decent accommodation for the Friday night only. I don't book Sunday night because I'm still walking! If you finish on the Sunday you can always bunk down at the event for free. There is usually a gym available for tired walkers to sleep. If you can sleep through snores and grunts and general noise of bodies shifting about!

I cna't sleep in such places and after this years event, rather than drive back tired I booked into a Travel Lodge- it's much safer to get some proper sleep before driving anywhere! So don't book Saturday- just book for the Friday and Sunday if you want a comfy bed after the event.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 22nd Nov 2011, 21:55
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I myself when staying at a B&B or a youth hostel booked Friday and Sunday nights only. But more time then not after finishing on Sunday evening I used to drive home if I was within 100 miles or so. But that is not for everbody and maybe not a wise thing to do. But it worked for me.

ian.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Tue 22nd Nov 2011, 20:08
Local Group: Sherwood
As a newbie, I'm curious to know on what basis Eileen and anyone else has booked their accommodation. Do you book for the Saturday night knowing perfectly well that you won't be there? Or do you book Friday and Sunday nights and clear out of your room in between so that you don't pay for a night you won't use?
Posted: Tue 22nd Nov 2011, 17:01
Just to make it very clear, I will be leaving at 10am Monday come what may. You can always sleep in the car while heading back to Gods own county.
Posted: Tue 22nd Nov 2011, 16:40
Don't want anything for Diesel, I'm going down anyhow. Just a pint in the Golden Ball. ;-)
Posted: Tue 22nd Nov 2011, 10:21
Thank you Ian- what a gent you are! I'll share petrol costs of course. That's what this forum is all about- offers of help from folks!

Now to turn down all those offers of soft beds and massages....
Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 18:36
On the Friday morning catch to 9am train from Scarborough, gets into Hull at 10-27. Edith and myself will meet you and take you down with us to Windsor. And if (and only if) your ready to go back home at 10am on the Monday morning we'll drop you back off at Hull train station.

It will only cost you a pint of bitter and a Martini and lemonade in the Golden Ball on the night before Filey Flier.

ian.
Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 18:00
I thought maybe I had better start a thread in the Bothy.

I was suprised to hear that there won't be a ballot. I thought with the 100 being in a big city lots of runners might register. Maybe they will later.

Anyway it's good news because I had already booked my Travel Lodge.

What I am unsure of is the economics of car travel versus rail from Scarborough, not to mention practicality! It's 3 changes for me. And rail looks to be costing about £100. But rail travel is very relaxing and I can sleep.... and miss my change!

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after the 100? I do- it takes me hours to wind down. This year I couldn't sleep until 10 at night on the Monday night in the Travel lodge. And that was after no sleep Saturday or Sunday.I didn't dare drive home after the event, and I tried to sleep after it but in my tent it wasn't all that comfortable!

What I dream of is a wonderful soft bed after a good swim,steam room and sauna. With a full body massage of course! Any offers.......? I mean has anyone any local knowledge of up market leisure facitlies in the area of Windsor? I can then phone and say "100+ folks might want to use your facilties may I take a day discount please? "

It worked for the hotel Hilton in Dunkeld. But down south might be different.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law