Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - The Cape Wrath Trail

Author: Keith Burton
Posted: Wed 6th Feb 2013, 11:20
I began the Cape Wrath Trail with a friend in May 2007.The first 3 days were driving rain,with all rivers in spate.Being 5`4" and carrying a 42 lb pack made crossings unstable a fell in most of them.For me it was all part of a great adventure.It is essential that all clothing and sleeping bags are contained in a waterproof sack.There were a party of Belgium's at Strathan who were in trouble, with everything they had was soaked.We suggested they make their way to the Glepean Bothy to dry out.Over a very rickety bridge crossing the River Carnach (one at a time only)the Guide book could not verify it`s existence, camping at some ruins at Carnoch.A brilliant riverside walk which was anything but flat,ascending by pulling on Heather Roots a tufts of grass.The 4 mile walk from Barrisdale to Kinloch Hourn was difficult an took over 3 hours.Each day the scenery took on a different dimension,The Falls of Glomach,the Bunkhouse at Camas Luinie,with beer provided by Wally the owner.Twisted my kneed badly on the slippery descent from the Falls of Glomach,but only a broken limb would stop me.North to the Cape Guide book gave a good alternative route over the Coulin Pass was easy on my knee,but the Torridon Mountains with a dusting on snow was wonderful and got better all the way to Loch an Nid,a wonderful camp almost surrounded by Mountains.2 night stop in Ullapool,to rest and stock up with 2 days food.The day to Knockdamph Bothy was dire.Arrived soaked with water spurting out of my boots to a very cold Bothy with no prospect of fuel for a fire.There was a large fence post that someone had tried to burn,an axe bounced off it. Thankfully my friend had a hacksaw blade on his Swiss Army Knife, resulting a fire that burned for 3 hours,not a life saver,but maybe not far off.The 18 to Loch Ailsh were foot weary,but a Pub stop at Orkyl Bridge Hotel was a delight.The Gillie at Benmore Lodge advised to move on as there guests staying,perhaps we would lower the tone of the area?From here to Kylesku the area was almost Lunar,with a series of high level Lakes,the like of which i have never seen,someone could die here and never be found.Midged out camping near Achfary Forest,more lakes ,with good paths for Anglers ending with 4 km of deep Bog & Mire to reach Richonich.A lovely road walk to Kinlochbervie giving a scene a Slovenian look.The path to Sandwood Bay was a delight almost suitable for a Buggy from the CP at Blairmore.Bathed in sun and not a soul to be seen,we sat in awe of this delightful Bay.The 5 hours to reach the Lighthouse was expected as walking on sand dunes always descending to sea level.Arrived at 5 pm,to a scene of dereliction with MOD buildings in need of demolishing.We were unable to tell anyone of our Journeys end as there was no signal.Day not over yet as we made our way to Kervaig Bay Bothy.To us a magnificent end as the sun went down as we were taking stock of our achievement.Caught to Shuttle Bus to takes to Durness via Loch of Durness.
For anyone planning this wonderful trail,be prepared for anything and not alone.The first 5 days to Glen Shiel were without a signal and completely on our own.Be careful where you walk,my friend disappeared to his waist in a water hole in the Carnach Valley,i was prodding with my poles over a water covered plain.Fuel in Bothies is hit & miss,take newspaper. Check with Hotels Richonich or Kinlochbervie as they will have information relating to MOD activity in the area. Please don`t procrastinate just go and walk the walk.
Posted: Thu 31st Jan 2013, 16:58
hi all,,
i myself completed the trail in 2010 (i think.) when i say completed i mean i did the whole sherbang apart from the last 4 miles on the cape as the milatry were doing a internatinal live round exercise.
i tried to get to the cape for the following three days ,,and left disapointed.
i myself started this trail in early may where i had ALL weathers and no previous footprints to follow.
i did meet a guy on route which made this a lot easier but both agreed getting any information from anywhere was almost impossible.
however when the new book comes out i shall myself be having a look .
this trail is spectacular, remote and most rewarding but you have to allow for mother nature to disrupt your detailed iternary.

my advise on this trail ..

1. to know and be confident of your compass work,,
this was not sign posted at all!! as there is no official route (unless that has all changed) you are left in remote areas of scotland where the human ratio is very low.

2. you need to have a good idea where your going to stay and get it booked beforehand.

3. there are times when there were no shops, pubs or accomadation apart from bothies or your own tent which means having to carry anything you need to eat drink ect on route.

4. also to factor in is how to get back to civilisation once completed.
this is not a difficult trail, but this is a step up from the pennine way when it comes to skills.

im happy to advise from the knowlege i have

stompa73.
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 13:36
We're planning to do the first third of the CWT starting Saturday 25 May 2013 (one of us is a teacher so restricted time wise). I shall have arrived in Fort William having done the West Highland Way as a warm up ...

Anyone out there who would like to share the benefit of their experience please? One of our concerns was the dilapidated bridge over the Peen at Strathan but checking out google earth it would appear to have been re-instated.

I'm aware Cicerone will have literally just published a brand new guide a fortnight earlier which hopefully I'll have been able to get hold of.
Posted: Mon 3rd Sep 2012, 10:50
Hi Martin, Did you walk the Cape Wrath Trail. I did it in May, 2012 but took my time. All the same, it was a wonderful walk and I plan to do it again some day
Posted: Thu 2nd Feb 2012, 12:18
Hello, I'm a new member and have joined so as to access members views and recent experiences of the Cape Wrath Trail. I have some experience of LDPs having completed the West Highland Way ( in 3 days ) Bowness on Solway to Tynemouth ( 2 1/2 days ) and the coastline of Jersey ( The Itex Walk 48.4 miles in 15 hours )
My LDPs are planned as challenging in time and terrain and although just an amateur at this it is the sense of achievement that inspires me.
All this reads rather boastful, sorry as it is not meant to be. It is offered as an insight to why I want to do the Cape Wrath trail in 9 days.
I have read the book by Denis Brook and Phil Hinchcliffe which is very very useful and will accompany me on my walk.
However the authors do point out that it refers to a period probably a decade ago and I am wondering if any LDWA member has any more recent experience that he or she would care to share?
I was thinking of mid April this year but have woken up to the fact that a) the winter weather might still lay low ( and soggy ) and b) I'm running out of time to properly plan this. So I'm now thinking early October to keep away from midges and in the hope that the ground will be generally firmer than mid April.

I'd like to start some dialogue and hope that my intro doesn't make you think, oh yes one of those boastful types. I'm not....
Regards
Martin
Posted: Tue 29th Nov 2011, 13:42
Hi John I have got the book North to the Cape a trek from Fort William to Cape Wrath By Denis Brook and Phil Hinchliffe it is a Ciccerone guide if it is of any use to you you are welcone to it, i dont want it back and i wilk pay the postage let me know, is that your address in the Strider
Regards Richard
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Wed 9th Nov 2011, 11:20
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I would like to borrow a copy of The Cape Wrath Trail. I have checked on Amazon but the price is rather expensive. I am willing to pay for postage and packing and will return the book within a week. Please contact me by Email, forum or telephone (the number is in Strider). Many Thanks John.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law