Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Autumn/Winter walk in England

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 2nd Oct 2011, 21:27
Local Group: Mid Wales
If you are walking over autumn/winter, you may have any weather conditions. Last winter reached -15c from November onwards, but it may be mild and wet for weeks on end. Expect anything from -15c to +15c with sun, rain, snow, it's impossible to predict (even for the weather experts)!
Without knowing your route, it is hard to give advice on wild camping, much of UK is very densly populated and you will find it hard to camp, other areas it will be easy. We have a public footpath system in UK where you can walk and "open access" land, but you need our Ordnance Survey maps of each area to see where they are marked (or a GPS mapping system, of which I understand nothing) and then plan each days walking from this. Don't worry too much about "hunting", if you stick to our footpaths you will be ok.

There is lots more information to give, if we know where you are going from. I,m sure others will help. Matt.
Posted: Fri 30th Sep 2011, 9:34
Hi All,

I have recently walked my first Long distance trail in France and Spain form Le Puy to Santiago de Compostella. Started in the end of march and since then couldn't stop my legs from walking héhé. My goal is to reach Edimbrugh and maybe Inverness if the weather is ok.

So it's the weather i'm concerned about. This year was incredibly warm and dry, at least until june. I would like some advice on walking during autumn and winter. My budget is tight, no B&B ing possible, I will be wildcamping the whole way.

Would you have any advice ? Tips (especially to keep dry) ? Things to be warned of ? Specific to bad wheather.
Is their a lot of hunting in England and how knowing where hunting areas are, how to act, where to camp,... to stay safe ?
Any particular risk of physical problem that can be increased by harsh weather ?
Any advice to enjoy a walk in winter ?
I think i am suitably geared to hike, cautious enough and in good shape (20years old, never sic, never broke a bone or spread an ankle, walked around 3.000miles whithout a scratch allready this year...) to walk safely and comfortably

Every tip is welcomed.

Excuse me for my written english, haven't practiced in years.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law