Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - LDWA 2012 - Games 100

Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 21:02
Local Group: Kent
OK, we have replied to Rebecca via e-mail, but just to clarify that whilst Marshals Walk entrants and CP co-ordinators addresses came from the LDWA database, Main Walk entrant addresses used were those supplied when entering the event (or as updated before last June). Yes, this will catch out a few people, ie those who have moved since the Event weekend, but we're banking on this only being a very few of you - and, if you have a re-direction service in place for your normal bills, Xmas cards and junk mail, then your envelope should be re-directed accordingly (so please be patient for a few days more).
As mentioned in an earlier posting, please contact ME by e-mail if you have specific questions regarding your envelope (or lack of) - neil.higham1@tesco.net. Thanks
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 8:15
Local Group: Marches
My address changed in Dec 2012 - I changed it immediately on the LDWA site but I'm worried that the CD will have gone to the old address if the organisers used their own spreadsheet and didn't go from the LDWA database - my CD hasn't arrived as yet. Can anyone tell me whether the address would have been updated or not :-(
Would love to have a copy.....
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Sun 27th Jan 2013, 13:35
Local Group: Heart of England
Watched mine last night great souvenir well done too all .i loved the music the best great tracks which fitted the bill . Hope the 2013 do the same
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sat 26th Jan 2013, 19:38
Local Group: South Wales
One word...brilliant!!
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Sat 26th Jan 2013, 0:01
Just watched the DVD I am was very impressed. It is very well produced and for me it really captures the atmosphere of the whole event for me as a walker and also provides insight into how the weekend goes for the checkpoint people and all other helpers.

Congratulation and thank you for a great souvenir.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Fri 25th Jan 2013, 20:34
Local Group: Heart of England
Mine turned up today the book is excellent well done to all involved . There was even a mention of my my wife in the checkpoints page who was more than glad to help out while waiting for me who was 7 hours late ( staple hill car park ( the unknown physio angel ). Going to watch the DVD tonight
Posted: Fri 25th Jan 2013, 19:56
I'm looking forward to seeing mine!!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 25th Jan 2013, 14:54
Local Group: Dorset
It was so nice to have a beautiful printed report and results. I thought the report and the DVD were both excellent. Thanks everyone.

When I am old and grey* I shall sit by the fire, and look at them again, They will bring back such happy memories.

*that is, when I have become a lot older and greyer, I hope....
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 19:24
Local Group: Sherwood
Thanks a lot for the explanation Neil. Mine is doubtless still on its way - I shall await the post with eager anticipation over the next few days!
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 19:04
Armorel, I did briefly wonder myself, but mine was INSIDE the booklet, all 'wrapped up' against the possibility of being left in the envelope and lessening chances of damage if on the outside.

There should be a DVD for each (household), entrants and Marshals Walk, as well as one for each of the respective Checkpoint Co-ordinators.

I have been assured that all envelopes have now been posted, with the last batch being sent out today; the packing and posting was completed by an unnamed but wonderful couple who were able to complete the task when the snow arrived.

If you - not just you, Armorel, but generally - do NOT receive the envelope soon, or are missing the DVD (I cannot imagine that you will get an envelope with no booklet) then please contact me by e-mail, neil.higham1@tesco.net and I will see what we can do; I understand that there may be a few spare copies.

Equally, if you have recently moved, it is possible that the envelope won't be delivered, but there is a return address sticker which will hopefully cover most of these situations.

Now for my viewing of said DVD .........
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 15:06
How do we get a copy of the DVD?
Author: Ian Crawford
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 13:46
Local Group: Wessex
I have just received the report and DVD of the LDWA Games 100. A wonderful souvenir of a great event organised by incredible dedicated Organising Committee, LDWA Groups and helpers. Thank you for all your hard work and inspiration with the event and for producing a brilliant report and DVD. It is greatly appreciated.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 14th Dec 2012, 22:33
Local Group: Surrey
Mike: the werewolf of Bodmin will get you for that. Beware the full moon!
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Fri 14th Dec 2012, 18:55
Local Group: East Lancashire
so did I but I thought it childish...

I assume therefore that this post will go into Room 101... ;)
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 14th Dec 2012, 14:27
I wanted to post the hundreth reply...
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Wed 12th Dec 2012, 15:46
Local Group: Bristol & West
Thankyou Alan for the information which sounds promising,please father christmas can I have the games 100 dvd!
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Wed 12th Dec 2012, 11:49
I had an email from Neil Higham on the 5th December and he wrote "We’re not quite there yet with the Results Booklet and DVD, but hope to be soon." Soon is a word I don't like seeing on route descriptions, as how long is soon?
Posted: Tue 11th Dec 2012, 16:25
Am I missing somthing or am I the only one interested in the games 100 dvd, it took me 43 odd hours to drag myself round and I would dearly love to see the bits I missed whilst on auto pilot any replies very welcome
Posted: Tue 18th Sep 2012, 17:24
can someone in authority please advise when the final games results will be sent out also carl dearings dvd of the event,thankyou
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Fri 1st Jun 2012, 1:29
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Good luck to all those on the games 100, see you there. Steve
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Thu 31st May 2012, 15:07
Here's the link to the twitter account I set up for the marshals’ walk.

merrianldwa

You don't have to register, sign in or follow in order to read the entries (can’t get used to calling them tweets). Put #ldwagames100 in the search and you should find all related entries.

If you want to add your thoughts, you’ll need to register. It’s pretty quick and easy to do, and I haven’t been bothered by any unwanted emails.

I hope those of you with twitter accounts will add to the thread, please include hash-tag #ldwagames100
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Thu 31st May 2012, 9:06
Cor blimey! Would you Adam and Eve it?. All of a sudden the forecasts are shows that nasty continental rain coming further North & arriving over Surrey on Sunday morning. While it may not be not as heavy as some of the forecasts are presently saying, don't pack that wet weather gear at the bottom of your rucksack.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Wed 30th May 2012, 17:23
The weekend weather is now appearing on the BBC's 5-day forecast & shows Sunday as 'rain-coloured'. On the other hand, the longer range website forecasts have been pretty consistent in the last few days showing rainfall restricted to Sunday afternoon/evening & totalling 2mm, ie pretty insignificant. Indeed, the only negative I can see weather-wise is the forecast high humidity from Saturday night onwards. So I'd reckon it'll be a cracking weekend for a jolly good walk.
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 29th May 2012, 14:49
Local Group: Merseystride
I'm feeling grateful to the Queen at the moment, as her diamond jubilee has meant that we didn't have the hundred in the heat of last weekend! At the moment the forecast is looking much better for next weekend - cooler, only light showers (if any) and light winds.
Posted: Mon 28th May 2012, 20:48
(apologies if this appears twice, not sure where first effort disappeared to ...)

Armorel, I must take issue with you, and you from Sherwood as well.

During the 1975 season a first class cricket match at Buxton in June took place after a highly unseasonal snowstorm. Ashley Harvey-Walker came out to bat and surprised square leg umpire Dickie Bird by asking him to look after his false teeth, wrapped in a handkerchief, because he wouldn't be in for long.

And, for the cricketing aficionadas amongst you, the following is a reminisce from Dickie Bird:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/2361401/Bird-still-foxed-by-day-snow-stopped-play.html

Of course, as you may well point out, Buxton is in (north) Derbyshire, whereas the 2012 100 is ‘down souf’, but even so ……….

{Written in a personal capacity of course}
Posted: Mon 28th May 2012, 20:27
But that's snow on the ground in those gallery photos. Surely not? On a 100 in June?
Posted: Mon 28th May 2012, 17:00
Lorks, why don't I check things before hitting "save". Norman did give me the correct name. It's Colin A Wormald. Sorry.
Posted: Mon 28th May 2012, 16:57
Anyone who completes the LDWA 100 shares the “Colin A Wormwald” trophy. The trophy has been lodging with Norman since the Marches group handed it over, and it will be on display at Windsor before it’s handed over to Cornwall & Devon group. You can’t take the trophy home, so when you’ve finished the Games 100 (or if you’ve completed a previous LDWA 100), don’t forget to have your photograph taken holding the trophy. Here are some pictures of previous completers with the trophy.
Posted: Mon 28th May 2012, 0:28
Trevor, Good morning

I can only re-iterate what was posted on a separate FORUM thread "The 100 - sleeping at the finish"

In response to the question:
Does the size (and weight) limit on bags given in the event rules apply only to breakfast bags, or to overnight bags as well? Not that I'm planning to bring the kitchen sink, but by the time I've put a sleeping bag and mat in an overnight bag, it runs the risk of being outside the quoted size limits.

We provided the following answer:
That's correct the size and weight limit on bag in the event rules applies only to the breakfast bags for the event. However (and there's always one of those...) please bear in mind that over the course of the weekend there will be some 650 plus people (entrants and supporters and marshals) staying in the school so keeping overnight baggage to a bare minimum would be much appreciated. Collapsible kitchen sinks most welcome!

Of course, this applies primarily to those who are going straight to Gainsborough School and dropping off an overnight/finish bag there; if you are driving to 'start' at the Finish, ie at Windsor, then you will have slightly more scope to leave a larger bag there, although if you are arriving at Windsor by public transport then you will be limited by the size of your arms, as you will then be carrying 3 bags (event, breakfast and overnight/finish)

Hope that this helps

Games 100 Organising Committee
Author: Trevor White
Posted: Sun 27th May 2012, 21:09
A little advice please.

I understand from the start that the breakfast bag sould be of a specified size. Not a problem. In the mailing we just recived it says BAGS should be of a specified size. How much scope is there before a finish bag becomes to large??
Posted: Sun 27th May 2012, 20:31
Well it wount belong now.
Can all of you who have posted carry a plaque card with your name on so I will now who you are.
Author: Terry Bound
Posted: Fri 18th May 2012, 13:16
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Following on from a previous post re staying for more than two hours at CP16 Sunningdale.

We always appreciate extra help on our CPs, anyone staying for more than 2hrs could be given a C&D apron and encouraged to help with sweeping floors and washing up. I could even put my feet up and have a cup of tea!

We look forward to seeing you all

Hazel
Cornwall & Devon CP Co-ordinator
Posted: Fri 18th May 2012, 0:32
Right, here we are - no peace for the wicked (ie me)

Following on from the previous post, the official reply I have received is as follows:-
"Stuffing happens Friday (18th, ie what is now today), so the letters will be sent out over the weekend and at the latest Monday. I have contacted our foreign entrants and asked if they want alternative arrangements."

If any entrants reading this think that they may miss the letter, or don't receive it, please e-mail Gail Elrick, at jandaelrick@btinternet.com and Gail can arrange something.

Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 21:59
Trevor, Hi - and good luck with your first. And may it be the first of many!

I understand that the Event Number and Kit Declaration and Breakfast Bag Label and Finish Bag Label and covering letter will be issued to entrants' home addresses shortly - maybe even this week. When I get the date I will post an update to this.

There will also be a Final Update issued by e-mail (or post to those without e-mail)

Obviously, if you (any of you, that is) are going to be away (recceing the route?) for the whole of the next fortnight, and you haven't received your package, then you will need to get with us (NO, not via this Forum, please).

Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 20:15
Hi all.

This is my first 100 all the posts have made interesting reading and have been a help. The only thing that i am unsure of is when do we get our event number?
Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 16:32
Hi Iain,

Good for you, perhaps, that retirement from the event is not even on the horizon (it's one of the things that we try not to talk about).

However, the Rules specifically state under Section 9 Retirements

Retiring entrants .......................... organisers are informed.
Checkpoint marshals .............................................. own fitness.
No entrant ........ check in or out ............................ other than during the official opening times .....
Any entrant arriving .......... after that checkpoint has closed .............
Checkpoint marshals will retire any entrant remaining at a checkpoint for more than 2 hours.

and it is the last of these which is relevant and which is being relaxed in this particular circumstance; however, as I hope I pointed out, this will really only be viable at Sunningdale - and anybody remaining at eg Belmont (the Breakfast Stop, c.63 miles) for longer than 2 hours, including changing, eating and sleeping, will almost certainly be timed out (ie they won't be able to use the WGP excuse from so far away!).

Thanks for the offer of your spreadsheet / potential app - but this is something that I could really do without; we have already effectively done what you have, by looking at the fastest and slowest possible finishers and made only a few adjustments to the 'straight line' answers. However, the point is that although your spreadsheet may show you arriving in eg Woldingham (37 miles) at 01:00, if the conditions are such that you actually arrive there at 22:50 or 04:20, then your original schedule is going to be well and truly up (or down) the mud gully. One of the entrants on the Marshals Walk, who similarly uses a spreadsheet and who I fully respect as he has more knowledge about completing 100s than most of us have, told me at South Lodge (39 miles) that he was 1 hour ahead of his schedule, but when I saw him next, at 58 miles, he was 'well behind', partly due to the mud and partly because of an overwhelming urge to get an hour's kip at one of the CPs in that 20 mile stretch; but I then think that he finished in or about his predicted time. I suppose that, if it did become an app, then it could be updated as you go (assuming that you still have the appropriate marbles) and hence it might display an ongoing estimate of finishing time etc, but you could then spend so long looking at the app that you slow down or perhaps get lost. Luckily, the entry requirements don't yet specify the need to carry a spreadsheet or a fancy app.

Having said that, if you wish to send your spreadsheet thru to me, volunteer.2012@ldwa.org.uk should reach me - and I promise you that I won't criticise your workings.

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 12:50
Neil, thanks for your prompt response to the WGP issue. Hope Sunningdale CP doesn't get too overcrowded waiting for 3.30am. (The 'two hours at each CP' rule is news to me.)

Food - will look at the Facilities pages again for the early parts of the route.

Timings - I use a spreadsheet into which I plug start times and cumulative checkpoint mileages, hence can balance target durations against overall average speeds (including all stops), giving expected arrival times at each CP. It would work for any event with known distances to intermediary waypoints (including cycling and running). It's been suggested that I make it an App, but before then you are welcome to a copy - email me. (If you make it available to participants I would request they make a donation to Oxfam before use.)

Iain
Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 9:50
Food - has that grabbed your attention?

Apologies to Louise (9th May, this Forum thread) for not answering this before now (and Iain, 16th May, follows up).

We are acutely aware of the difficulties involved and, believe me, we will be trying to satisfy everyone. We will impress on the CP Managers that they MUST retain sufficient food for the later entrants, especially as some on the 14:00 start look as though they will be pure walkers (eg Iain Connell).

Surprisingly, perhaps, given that the first 25 miles is 'urban', we have kept you away from most of the shops, but please do look at the 100 website and the facilities listing (under Event Route, Route Facilities) which is on a pdf http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/downloads/2012Hundred/FacilitiesListV112032012.pdf

This is perhaps an opportune time to say that the first MAJOR CP will be at Biggin Hill, c. 30 miles - the four previous CPs will be 'Splash and Dash' at CP1, and then you will have 3 CPs which we are terming 'basic', primarily because we are not permitted to prepare any hot food (but I understand that we have Cup A Soup at Farnborough, CP4) until Biggin Hill.
Having said that, our Catering Supremo, Jan, has said " .... the cold CPs at Meridian and Mottingham will have full menus ....the quantities will not be sparse"

The promised spreadsheet that will be posted on the 100 website soon is expected to include a brief CP designation column showing each as Basic, Outdoor, Major (or Splash and Dash for CP1) - just give me a chance to complete it!!

Hopefully this will reassure (some) people.

Posted: Thu 17th May 2012, 9:25
Morning All!

David - there is a CP in WGP at 97.4 miles; this will 'close' overnight, but as a last resort - ie if going really slowly from Sunningdale, you could 'bed down' for the remainder of the night, ie until 04:00. If you have gone further than this then you will already be on The Long Walk. The Minutes of the last meeting with the Park Superintendent include the following:-
"Walkers will be diverted to the alternative route outside WGP at the Sunningdale checkpoint between 7pm Sunday and 4am Monday, so that they should not be in WGP in darkness. An LDWA marshal will be at Blacknest Gate around the closure time on Sunday to dissuade walkers from entering the Great Park. (Park Superintendent) will alert WGP wardens to the possibility that some slower walkers may (still) be walking down the Long Walk as darkness falls."
We also plan to 'sweep' the last few pre-19:00 hour walkers thru the park, from Blacknest Gate.
And you should, I hope, still be able to work out how to get out of the gate at the end of The Long Walk (ie no turnstile)
Hopefully this answers your question.

Janet - what a question!! And the answer I'm afraid is well above my pay grade, so will come back to you on this.
However, let's be pragmatic - if you get to Sunningdale at 17:03, and wish to wait until 03:30 on the hard floor at the CP (remember, no personal luxuries here, they'll be at the finish), then ....... (words fail me). I would venture that you should perhaps be concentrating on finishing and then, if you must walk WGP you can perhaps cadge a lift from the finish to Sunningdale on the Monday morning and crawl thru at you leisure.
Can I just remind everyone that the '2 hour limit' is still applicable on this event except that it is being relaxed at the end for the specific purpose of WGP - you probably wouldn't want to stay outdoors at the Staple Hill CP, c. 90 miles, for too long, and the previous indoor CP is at Old Woking, c.82 miles, so it will take some impressive arithmetic (perhaps you need to team up with Iain Connell??) for someone to be sure that by resting at Old Woking for over 2 hours, that they can then get through Horsell Common at night (and this caused the Marshals entrants no end of problems, even with some signage and for those who had recce'd and even originated the route here, and which we are trying to address) and arrive at Sunningdale at an 'appropriate' time.
On the Marshals Walk, 4 entrants arrived at Sunningdale just before 02:30 - 1 (Paul Lawrence) elected to stay until 04:00 (so to get to Blacknest Gate at 04:30 ish), but the other 3 decided that they didn't want to hang about at Sunningdale and so did the avoiding route; I haven't checked, but guess that their primary motivation at that point was just to finish!
The other aspect to take on board is that you may overstay your welcome at Sunningdale "What - are you still here?" or you may find yourself roped in by Cornwall & Devon to help them run the CP!!

Iain, as I have alluded to above, I salute your impressive timing schedule and thinking, and hope that all plays out for you as you wish. No more from me on this, except that I have done the avoiding route (albeit in reverse and in broad daylight) and it ain't too bad at all, it has its moments.
On the food aspect, I will post a separate response.

Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 22:17
Thanks for all of this information. Only one question from me.

Assuming that you leave Sunningdale before 1900 Hrs and get into the park, what happens if you haven't left the park prior to the expected time for you to leave? Are there turnstiles that allow you out but not in?
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 20:52
Neil - can I clarify the unique rules of the Games 100 so I am absolutely clear as to what is and what is not permitted. If I arrive at Sunningdale at say 17.03 on Saturday and decide - as the rules used to allow - to rest 2 hours and set off at 19.01, am I then allowed to stay at Sunningdale till 03.30 so I can walk through WGP - as I suppose I shall have to call it. And let us suppose at about 01.30 - having had 8 hours rest - I decide that I might use the road route after all - will I then be disqualified for exceeding my permittted rest time - but if I carry on sleeping till 3.30 and walk throgh the park I am within the rules.
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 15:18
Thankyou for the information, Neil. I have amended my start time from 10am to 2pm plus later coach to start request, in order to time my arrival (assuming I get there at all !) at CP16 Sunningdale for a relatively brief (about an hour on my timings) wait for 3.30am. I would have preferred not to do this, as the 10am start would have meant me finishing around 2am, only one night and a bit rather than what will now be two full nights (finish 7-7.30am). (Even on a 10am start, there would have been little realistic prospect of getting to Sunningdale before 7pm.)

It's the least worse option, better by far than seven night-time miles on London's main roads (not what I go walking for - I used to do the Thames Barrier to Westminster on riverside pavements: the A30, A328 and A308 just don't compare), and it doesn't involve having to be ready for a 7am coach transfer. At least there will be lots of us waiting for the 3.30am release, navigation by crowd committee through WGP's confusing bits and propping each other up on the Long Walk (last year I developed both balance problems and Mrs Overall syndrome, not to mention the playschool tigers). Fun, I expect, though not what I would have wished for.

Particularly with the later start, may I request you require early checkpoints to exercise some food portion control ? As someone has said, last year supplies had diminished or run out (in one case leaving just a single round of sandwich per person) by the time we (non runners and at-the-front starters) got to the first three or four refuelling bases. This time CP1 is only 6 miles in, but please let us avoid another 'OO ate all the pies?' situation. Thanks.

Iain
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 13:46
OK folks, here’s the news – thanks for your patience, and many apologies for the delay (although Richard has already seen the 100 website); we were awaiting feedback from the (Windsor Great) Park Superintendent, post the Marshals Walk.

The final version, 4a, of the route description for the main event will be issued around 21 May and will be available on the 100 webpage for printing by entrants. An event bulletin will also be issued at that stage to all entrants. Those who have earlier requested posted route descriptions will have them posted. There are some small differences from the current versions (3a); the final version will be 4a.

Following a timings test on the Marshals Walk, the final route description will include the timings for the night closures of Windsor Great Park (WGP), and these will be as follows:

For check point departures from the Sunningdale checkpoint (CP16 at 92.2 miles) after 19:00 hours on Sunday and before 03:30 hours on Monday, WGP is CLOSED and the alternative route will operate.

For check point departures from Sunningdale before 19:00 hours on Sunday and after 03:30 hours on Monday, WGP is OPEN (but it will take about 30 mins to walk to the entrance, which makes it 04:00 entering WGP itself - we will have a marshal there until 04:00).

Entrants may also rest at the checkpoints in order to use the Park day route at dawn - but this is a personal choice and you will need to balance out a) the WGP route against b) will your body actually seize up if you stay at Sunningdale too long?

A table of checkpoint distances, opening and closing times and ascents between checkpoints will be provided online soon.

Please keep looking at the 100 website.

On a personal note, I was privileged / fortunate enough to accompany the quartet of Marshals entrants entering WGP at first light on 7th May, on what was an ethereal experience, and am pleased to report that this passed off without incident – at one stage a couple of the trees did move menacingly towards us, but we decided on reflection that it was just the early morning breeze; I would also just comment that the WGP Wardens will almost certainly be ‘out and about’ early as well, in their green vans, so please don’t lie down for a rest on the tarmac on The Long Walk, unless you wish to finish the 100 covered in tyre marks (remember, at this stage of the event, your reactions are likely to be slow and befuddled).

And I cannot resist one last tip – The Long Walk gets its name for a very good reason, so you may wish to concentrate on looking at the gates that you will pass through, rather than on the castle itself (as this doesn’t seem to get any closer at all).

In answer to the question posed 30 mins ago by Sean - NO, the alternative route has been made so that it is exactly the same distance as the WGP route (give or take the odd yard here or there). And, Sean, the possibility of us doing the route in reverse was never really on, for a whole variety of reasons.

Hope that this is useful for some, but your speed on the weekend will likely dictate what route you take, and that is something that none of us can be certain of in advance, due to the vagaries of the Great British Weather and what effect that will have on the underfoot conditions.

Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 13:40
Hello Sean

The overall distance will remain the same whichever route you have to choose. 100.4 miles

Games 100 Organising Committee.
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 13:01
I know the rules are the rules and efforts by many to have them changed so we could all enjoy the GWP at any time have not come to fruition...but upon hearing this and realising that the Park officials were not going to budge then surley there was enough time that maybe we could of started at windsor and and ended at the olympic village....Hindsight.!!!! hahaha...I dont mind really, my target is to finish it as i only managed 76miles on the Housman before me feet littrally fell off hahaha target time 33 to 36 hours
But a question does going around GWP increase the distance?
Posted: Wed 16th May 2012, 8:26
Rob latest info on windsor great park ,these times are when leaving cp16 sunningdale village hall between 19:00 and 03:30 you will have to use the road walk as windsor park will be closed, not sure if you can stay at cp16 longer than the two hour maximum whilst waiting for 03:30 but i would think this possible as organisers want as many as possible to see windsor park this still leaves 6 hours 30 mins to travel about 9 miles to the finish ,see you there ,regardes richard
Posted: Tue 15th May 2012, 21:26
Hi Rob, on the marshalls walk they had to leave the checkpoint just prior to the park by 18:15 this allowed time to traverse the park before it closed this time will extend later on our walk as it will be possibly lighter for an hour later so as a guess around 19:15 ish will be nearer the mark but this leaves still a lot of time the park is closed regardes richard
Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Tue 15th May 2012, 21:08
Richard, it looks like it's the road for us then, and also many others. It must get dark early in Berkshire, or is that the cut off time for entering the park assuming one has to be out by dusk? Rob
Posted: Tue 15th May 2012, 19:24
Rob seeing there has been no reply to your question about Windsor Park opening and closing times,looking at the marshalls route description the park closed at 18;15 and opened again at 04:00 the main event times will be similar regardes richard
Posted: Sun 13th May 2012, 20:07
Hi Neil, can I politely repeat Neil's request for information regarding the closure times for WGP. It's now less than 3 weeks until the event and we've been patiently waiting for the results of the meeting with the park authorities. If we hear nothing, can we assume the park will be closed from dusk until 7am? Would you be kind enough to clarify the situation, Thanks. Rob
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Wed 9th May 2012, 22:53
Local Group: Staffordshire
Just wondering if anyone has had any clever strategies this year to ensure that plodders at the back [like me] will be greeted with 'food' at the early c/points - or whether we can expect the cupboards to be nearly bear as last year. Its fine if they are - as I carry spare food anyway. Not complaining by the way - as despite thinking hard about how to 'ration' folks a bit - I've not come up with a workable solution - or I would have put it forward as a suggestion. Maybe I can appeal to other participants - not to 'take food' to fill their bags - as this might deprive others of their rations.
Author: Ian Graves
Posted: Tue 8th May 2012, 19:59
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Spare 'double room' at Travel Lodge (Windsor Central) available for Friday 1 June. Cost £37.00.
I have three rooms booked, but one of our party is now unable to attend the event. Please contact me on 07799 750337 if interested. Thanks, Ian.
Posted: Wed 2nd May 2012, 15:48
Any news about Windsor Great Park closure times and advice on the related issue of event start time (and hence predicted arrival time at WGP gates) ? You did say that your meeting with the park authorities was to be in April ...

Iain
Author: John Gurnhill
Posted: Sat 14th Apr 2012, 1:15
I have uploaded the slideshow for stage 2 of the Games 100:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty7JtTPbnlc
Only made three errors in following the route: at Greenwich, after the tennis court, and across the final playing field. Apart from those the description was fine!
Posted: Sun 8th Apr 2012, 13:36
Tony, Hi

Yes, there is unfortunately a slight error on the Harvey's Map with the Biggin Hill CP. This is now mentioned on the relevant (Merchandise) page on the 100 website, namely

"the checkpoint location at Biggin Hill is slightly misplaced on this map and should be at GR TQ421590".

Just to confirm that the route is accurate, as is the CP description - it is only the CP location showing which is slightly out. Anyone walking the route would not have a problem, as they would come across the CP 'early'. However, if someone is driving to Biggin Hill to start a recce from there (and not checking the correct GR) they need to be as far to the EAST of the main road as the erroneous location is to the WEST. The address is Church Road, Biggin Hill, TN16 3LB. For further confirmation, the CP is actually at the bottom of the second 'g' in Biggin as shown on the map, and above the 'p' in Aperfield.

Hope that this helps.

Oh, and this CP (in Kent or Greater London, depending upon who you talk to) is being hosted by Kent Group who are aware of this issue, so shouldn't get lost!!!

Neil Higham, Games 100 Organising Committee
Posted: Mon 2nd Apr 2012, 21:03
Hi Tony

I've just re-read your posting and my reply and realise I mis-understood.

After the 100 my 1st night class course is how to read forum postings correctly........

Apologies.

Norman

Posted: Mon 2nd Apr 2012, 20:28
Hi Tony

The map has been well received by everyone who’s commented.

Have you contacted the events team at route.2012@ldwa.org.uk with the grid reference change? A daft question to ask but I thought I’d ask it!

Norman Corrin

Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sun 1st Apr 2012, 22:09
Local Group: Cumbria
Yes the map is very good and helpful.
Having recently reccied the route from Biggin Hill to the end the only fault I could find is the marked site of the Biggin Hill checkpoint.
The Spitfire Centre is at TQ 421590 as noted in the Route Description and not at the position marked on the map.
Posted: Mon 26th Mar 2012, 0:03
Because of fults in the previous slideshow, I have redone the section 1b of the Ganes 100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGo4ab5KcPw
Posted: Sun 25th Mar 2012, 22:26
I've received my map and it's brilliant - so helpful to have it all on one piece of paper.
Posted: Sun 25th Mar 2012, 13:23
I have now completed my photos of section 1 of the Games 100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSf8I-l_Vs
It is going to be very tricky for 500 + entrants to negotiate this forst section. The canal towpath is narrow in places, and there will be a considerable number of cyclists, runners and walkers on it as well. Also, Limehouse Basin will be having its busiest day of the year, according to a British Waterways worker I spoke to yesterday.
However, that said, I am extremely impressed with this first section. We all know the attractions of canal and riverside walking, especially if the terrain is flat, but the section through Canary Wharf is an atraction in its own right. Amazing!
Posted: Tue 20th Mar 2012, 16:14
Photos of the walk from the school to the start, + start to Victoria Park now available.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0KDqmAQFw
Posted: Tue 20th Mar 2012, 11:25
Hi Janet

I was at a Games 100 committee meeting last night and the maps have been received. They will be posted out shortly

Norman Corrin

Games 100 2012 Organising Committee.
Author: Janet Hill
Posted: Mon 19th Mar 2012, 12:51
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I've ordered one of the Harvey route maps via S I Entries ,when can I expect delivery?
Posted: Sun 18th Mar 2012, 21:54
Janet, David et al

Please can I ask all to desist, as we have said all that we can on this particular subject (access to Windsor Great Park) at the present time; any further answers we give prior to the April meeting with the Park authorities will say exactly the same as we have already said - although we could try to dress it up with different words to confuse you?!?

Please be patient!

Neil Higham
Posted: Sun 18th Mar 2012, 16:48
I presume this means we have to be through the park by sunset - so need to get in by about 7pm at the latest if aiming to finish Saturday night and see the park?
Posted: Fri 16th Mar 2012, 21:27
Hi Neil,

I know that you guys are trying hard. There is no issue from my perspective on that at all! no, I simply concentrated on the comment relating to great windsor park trying their hardest to accommodate the event when to an outsider looking in, it appears that they could do more and bend their rigid rules!!!!
I know from my own experience that you will be doing everything to ensure that we all have a good time!

Dave
Posted: Fri 16th Mar 2012, 13:58
David, we are trying, definitely

If you kindly refer to the foot of the Route Sunnary page, you will see the following:-

"For Windsor Great Park, public access for walkers is in daylight hours only, with an equal length alternative event routing being provided in darkness. Flexible event start times will help the maximum number of walkers to see the memorable Castle views and to traverse the Long Walk in the light. In this Park, large groups of walkers always require a permission."

The last sentence is very important.

Whilst I know - and you know - and we have confirmed to the authorities that we won't get all 500 entrants passing through at the same time, and it won't even be a continuous stream, we are not the arbiters here; we have to abide by the rules that we are presented with.

I can only re-iterate - please bear with us.
Posted: Fri 16th Mar 2012, 10:57
"The Windsor Great Park authorities have been very co-operative in their desire to help the association put on the event."

Hi Neil,

I don't wish to sound controversial, and know how much hard work you and your team are doing to ensure that we have a thoroughly enjoyable event, and I'm grateful for that. BUT, if they were that co-operative they'd keep the gates open wouldn't they? To an outsider it looks like that they're doing no more than they would on a normal day!
Posted: Fri 16th Mar 2012, 8:17
Hi Rob

We fully appreciate your desire to avoid the alternative night time route, which is walking mostly on pavements, along main roads. The Windsor Great Park authorities have been very co-operative in their desire to help the association put on the event. But the opening and closing of the park is a matter we do not have control over. By selecting one of the 3 available start times of either 10, 12 or 2 it might be possible for you to plan your arrival at the Park as dawn breaks. As suggested in my previous post, we will update you with more comprehensive timings after the next meeting.

Neil Higham, Games 100 Organising Committee
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2012, 19:56
According the royal park website, Windsor Great Park is open from 07.00 to dusk. Sunrise will be 04.47 and sunset 21.12. If the published park opening times are adhered to, it could mean anyone completing within 35-47 hours will have to take the alternative route.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 12th Mar 2012, 22:41
Think it's all in the mind - on one 50 miler I did I couldn't wait to get on to the roads because my feet were wrecked with blisters and it was more comfortable walking on the even surface of the roads than on rough tracks. Also, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that long straight stretch in Windsor Park at the end to be honest! Me thinks it might seem a long way... Oh it is a long way!
Posted: Mon 12th Mar 2012, 20:59
Having downloaded the route map, it appears that the alternative 'night time' route avoiding Windsor Great Park involves walking along main roads, except for the excursion through Runnymede. If this really is the case, can I urge the organising committee to try and get access to the park as early as possible on the Monday morning, as the thought of approx 7 miles walking along side a main road at night at the end of the 100 is not that appealing.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Fri 9th Mar 2012, 22:04
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Very witty!

it reminds me though to order my map online via Si Entries. I won't need to have a later start time- I will probably arrive by dawn or after anyway for the walk into Windsor Great Park. I just hope I can appreciate it!
Posted: Thu 8th Mar 2012, 23:28
David, Hi

The event rules specifically state the following:-
• Maps in electronic format will also be allowed provided durability and adequate power supply can be demonstrated if requested by a marshal.

So the short answer is Yes, this should be acceptable - but ……………

It is perhaps apposite for the answer being provided on this day of all days, with forecast S lar Stor s pot tially knock g out all s rts of el ctronic s stems and, pe haps regre ably, the LD A has no p ers over wh emanates fr m the sun, and whether (weather?) you will be led astray!!!

Whether such external activity would actually affect your gizmos, I don't know ....... but, to be safe, it may be beneficial to carry (a) paper map(s) in addition?

Neil Higham, Ga es 10 Orga ising Com i t e(!)
Posted: Thu 8th Mar 2012, 23:20
Gerald, many apologies for the delay in responding to your post of 23rd February.

The short answer to your second question is YES, definitely, entrants will be permitted to walk through Windsor Great Park on the Monday morning, from ‘dawn’.

With regard to your first question, I confirm that we will issue specific timings for the Great Park closure, but finalising this – and other operational matters hereabouts – has to await a planned meeting (in April) with the relevant authorities

This information will be relayed to you (and others) in future Updates, thus making sure that all entrants are kept ‘in the loop’ (as not all read the Forum!).
Posted: Mon 5th Mar 2012, 21:36
But, if I have a gps with an electronic map that covers the entire area, and I can evidence that I have sufficient battery power, will I still need to carry maps or will this suffice for the rules this year?

Dave
Author: Gordon Parker
Posted: Mon 5th Mar 2012, 16:38
Local Group: London
People recceing near the start in Hackney Wick will be interested to know that the footbridge across the A12, immediately before the route enters Victoria Park, which is currently closed for refurbishment, is due to re-open on 18th March.
Author: Gerald Davies
Posted: Thu 23rd Feb 2012, 22:05
I was looking for specific times as to when the section through Windsor Park will be open and when the diversion will be in place. I am particularly interested in whether it will open again on the Monday morning.
Posted: Sun 19th Feb 2012, 18:33
Thanks Janet. Think I'll do the same since I don't possess any of those numbers already!
Posted: Sat 18th Feb 2012, 21:31
Its in the event rules Rebecca - OS 1:25,000 Explorer 145, 146, 147, 160 and 162. Sounds an awful lot of maps to me - I am hanging on in hope of being able to buy a Harveys map of the entire route
Posted: Sat 18th Feb 2012, 18:30
Sorry if this is on the website somewhere but I can't find it - can you please advise which explorer maps I need to buy to cover the route please - I think I've worked it out but would be grateful for the confirmation before I buy them all!

Thanks
Posted: Wed 15th Feb 2012, 21:11
Hi Geoff

I’m the Games 100 Entries Secretary. It has to be an event as shown on the list of qualifying events. If it’s not on that list and is an event with results that can be verified and that meet the criteria of being a 50 mile qualifier then that’s fine. Failing that you would have to send in the details and then it could be taken into consideration.

So to be sure …………………

Regards

Norman Corrin 2012 Organising Committee
Posted: Tue 14th Feb 2012, 16:30
According to the conditions of entry on the website "acceptance of an event not included in the list of qualifying events shown on the event website will be at the discretion of the organising committee" - so you would be best taking this up with the committee. I have to say that as I read it, an "event" implies an organised event, and it would be difficult to provide the required proof of timing on a DIY walk, but that's just my hunch and you really need the official view from someone entitled to make a decision.
Author: Geoff Sproson
Posted: Mon 13th Feb 2012, 22:09
Do qualifying walks have to be multi -entrantl organised walks or would verifiable solo or small group challenges be considered, e.g. 50mile plus section of West Highland Way completed non-stop?
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 13th Feb 2012, 11:46
Local Group: Surrey
The route description is now on the Games 100 website
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 9:51
Thank you - that's great news.
Posted: Thu 12th Jan 2012, 22:36
Rebecca, Hi - and apologies for delayed response

The Route Editor tells me that the latest (ie the most up-to-date) copy of the Route Description is due to posted on the web site towards the end January (2012, obviously!).

Having said that, it is only fair to point out that there are a small number of route issues still to resolve - primarily at the very start, I believe. Also the number of Clip Points has yet to be agreed, so although there will be a 'good enough' version available soon for entrants to 'pre-walk' parts, please don't yet treat it as gospel.

Hope that this helps you (and others)

Neil Higham, 2012 Organising Committee
Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2011, 8:36
Can anyone tell me when a route description will be available for the Games 100 please?
Posted: Tue 27th Dec 2011, 21:56
As I said before- poor Norman! It's still December 2011. Why people in a rush for details? Give the fella/group a chance until 2012. Jan/Feb.
Posted: Tue 27th Dec 2011, 15:49
Hello Steve and Roy. Apologies for delay in replying. Little matter of Christmas to get out of the way! I can't give you definitive answers for either of your questions as yet. As soon as I know I'll either post them on the forum or email you both. Sorry to be vague but these details are still to be sorted. You'll have an answer before the 1st June I promise!
Author: Steve Rackett
Posted: Sun 25th Dec 2011, 14:17
Local Group: London
Thanks Norman great to see will be able to use Satmap and mapping any idea when route final will be available
With thanks
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Mon 12th Dec 2011, 14:08
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi Norman,
I will be sleeping at Windsor school, Friday night any idea's as regards early breakfast facilities on Saturday morning, in the area.
Regards Roy.
Posted: Thu 8th Dec 2011, 11:19
Hi Norman, its all sorted out and payed for now, thanks again for your help and quick responce
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 22:03
Thanks Norman!
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 20:29
David on the 5th and Janet on the 1st asked respectively about digital map files and camping at Windsor School. The answer to both is yes. We don't want to give out the digitial map files just yet.
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 19:53
Hello Maurice. SI Entries have resolved your problem (it was to do with your entry with Nathan Shaw). I've sent you both offers of entry for the Games 100. I've also emailed you both seperately further information which should have been included with the SI Entries invite but I remembered after I'd pressed the send button!
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 10:30
HI NORMAN, we entered on line, and have not any contact from SI, and thanks for your quick response
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 9:07
Hi Eileen. £60 or £68 just before Xmas. Oh well think of it as an early Christmas present!
Posted: Wed 7th Dec 2011, 9:05
Hi Maurice. The offers of entry to all of those entrants who entered on line via SI Entries were emailed on Sunday night. So you should have received the email by now. I'm at work, did you enter by post or on line.
Posted: Tue 6th Dec 2011, 23:07
Poor Norman! All these questions. And it is still only December. Folks seem to be asking to pay- now that is unusual!

I received an email from SI entries asking for payment, so I suppose I must pay up! Damn. I had forgotten about that a month or so ago!
Posted: Tue 6th Dec 2011, 19:27
HI, NORMAN, when will we hear about payment etc,for the games 100, as we still have not been contacted, OR do we have to contact si to make payment, kind regards
Posted: Mon 5th Dec 2011, 15:53
Hi Norman,

Great news to see that you're going to allow electronic maps on the event. My supplementary question is to ask if you're going to supply gpx tracks so that those of us with gps devices can upload the route electronically?

Regards,

David
Posted: Sun 4th Dec 2011, 11:57
Hi Janet and John. Details of the coach starting times will be released in due course. Apologies for being ambivalent but we're still working on those
Author: Janet Hill
Posted: Thu 1st Dec 2011, 21:25
Will there be later coaches for later starters and camping available ?
Author: John Walker
Posted: Sun 27th Nov 2011, 11:11
Local Group: Wiltshire
I'm trying to decide whether to drive over from my home (in Wiltshire) very early on the Sat morning or stay over in a B&B near to Windsor and get a couple more hours of sleep. All things being equal I'd prefer to sleep in my own bed! The decision depends on when the coaches will leave Windsor to go to the event start. What time has been planned for them to leave?
Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 21:10
Hi Rebecca I'm the entries secretary. There are still various admin tasks and checks to be carried out and the 2 weeks grace between now and the 4th December will give enough time for them to be completed. So no you won't be able to pay until then
Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 8:08
Just heard the news there won't be a ballot. So I guess I just wait until 4th December before logging back into Sportident or can I pay before?
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 16th Nov 2011, 9:35
John - thanks for pointing this out. It's now in the event listings, although I think most people will have seen it through the "news" item.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Thu 10th Nov 2011, 16:30
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I know I am nit picking but it would be nice to see the flagship LDWA event in the LDWA Events List before the entries close, which will be in under 2 weeks. I presume it will not be included in the forthcoming Strider under 'Events'
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Mon 7th Nov 2011, 23:37
Local Group: High Peak
Just to put the record straight, Neil Higham has now contacted us with a most helpful reply. He had tried to get in touch with us but gremlins in the e-mail system meant we didn't get his replies.

Many thanks Neil!
Posted: Sun 6th Nov 2011, 17:03
Amazing thing this forum! Within minutes of our previous posting we were contacted by someone who is running a checkpoint and we're now on his team.
Posted: Sun 6th Nov 2011, 16:20
Has anyone else tried to volunteer to be a helper on this event? I have twice e-mailed the address on the 2012 Hundred website (neil.higham1@tesco.net) offering the services of my wife and myself but not had a reply. If we're not required, that's fine; just let us know and we'll make other plans.
Posted: Tue 27th Sep 2011, 20:56
Hi Giselle I'm the Entries Secretary for the Games 100. Thanks for your interest and there is initial information on the Games 100 event website at www.ldwa.org.uk/2012Hundred that gives the main finish venue and start locations and qualifying event list. More details, with a route outline and support locations, will be provided there prior to the entry process, which opens on 16 October for registrations online, or by post. The registration process is early and period quite extended for the 2012 event, allowing good time to get entries registered. The event fees will not be requested or cashed until after this, in the event a ballot were to be needed, and some accommodation providers offer fully refundable terms.
Author: Giselle Dudley
Posted: Sun 25th Sep 2011, 16:19
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Is it just me or does information regarding The Games 100 seem to be a little slow in appearing? The last two hundreds - Heart of Scotland and The Housman by this time of the year, I had my accommodation booked and roughly knew where all the checkpoints were going to be. When will the application form be available to download and what is the cost going to be etc.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law