Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Surrey Tops 2011

Author: Jeff Campbell
Posted: Fri 23rd Sep 2011, 1:14
Local Group: Surrey
This was my third Surrey Tops, and it is interesting to note how popular it has become. On the first Surrey Tops 6 years ago only 20 people participated, with a mere 5 on the runners' start.

As always, the CP volunteers were wonderfully supportive and the food more than compensated for the intermittent showers and the inevitable mud. It can't have been much fun for the volunteers standing in the cold, especially in the dark at Smithbrook Kilns. The route description was excellent (and it needed to be, with large portions of the route in the dark).

Another 3 years to wait - looking forward to it already!

Jeff
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Wed 21st Sep 2011, 10:38
Local Group: Bristol & West
I would like to thank the surrey group on a well executed challenge walk who ever told us to bring extra food for the walk need not have the catering was first class throughout took all my own food home with me , I thank the person who picked up my gps unit which I noticed missing near cp1 and to the people involved in reuniting it with me ,a great relief when at cp2 it was there waiting for me.the walk is split in to two halfs for me day time beautiful scenary long ridges and plenty of views second half during darkness much harder as Ihave poor eyesight the forest sections were especially difficult but with my trusty companion bob attwood we made it to the finish, I suppose we will now have to do the other two parts of this triple challenge in the not to distant future .thankyou all richard
Author: Peter J Smith
Posted: Tue 20th Sep 2011, 17:15
Local Group: London
Can I pass on big thanks to Tony Cartwright and his team for a fantastic event on Saturday; both my son and I loved the event. terrific.
Special thanks also to the team at CP 4.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Mon 19th Sep 2011, 18:17
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thanks to Surrey Group for putting the Tops on again - the car parking in Witley was as dreadful (and dangerous) as ever, but the event itself was just fine. It really does work much better in September than March, I think.

The weather was generally fine (a few brief showers notwithstanding) and the mud mostly minimal aside from the section between Nore and Hascombe, which must be a nightmare in winter. Having a nearly full moon for that bit was certainly a nice distraction from the worst of it.

When I first saw the route description I must confess I wondered where the £15 entry fee was going; just four checkpoints, and three of those in car parks. Happily, the answer seems to have been "on food" - a most impressive spread at all four stops, with the beef stew in the evening meal being especially delicious. So good value overall.

Photos are up at Surrey Tops 2011.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law