Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - West Coast Trail

Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 6:51
I live on Vancouver Island and I've done the WCT twice. If you're lucky with weather, it's wonderful. If not, then, it'll be mud to your knees most days. The distance is deceptive. Young very fit people do it in 4 or 5 days. It takes me 6 and a half. I was 57 the last time I did it, and reasonably fit, though not an athlete by any means. It's fun because there are lots of ladders and 3 or 4 cable cars. Arranging the transportation to and from the trail heads is a must. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Posted: Wed 31st Aug 2011, 11:39
Dear All,

I am considering hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in Canada in the Summer of 2012. I have read reports, books and people's blogs about their trips etc but I've not yet met or spoken with anyone who has actually walked it. I'm wondering specifically how difficult the trail is. It is described on official sites as 'challenging' (covers a range of actual experiences) and there do seem to be some steep climbs but it isn't a very long walk. My partner and I are moderately fit moderately experienced walkers and we've experience of hiking and camping in the UK, Canada, New Zealand and America. Neither of us have been eaten by wolves, bears or cougars and we've not fallen to our deaths (so far!) so we must be doing something right. Any advice from any WCT veterans would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Garry Wilson
LDWA Member Number 30495

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law