Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Hanging Stone Leap

Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Sun 21st Aug 2011, 11:06
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Thanks for the feedback, Eileen we will take on board your comments regarding savouries on the checkpoints. 2011 results are now on Cleveland Website but to access them you need to look under "events results from previous years".

2012 Hanging Stone Leap is on 4th August 2012, hope to see you there. (We'll see what we can do about the Rugby players Eileen)
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2011, 23:26
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Yes. I noticed a lot of forestry cut down! What a difference that made for the views. I was wondering where I was as it looked so different. Are they regenerating the moor up there? It certainly makes for good views.
There probably was forest originally there and on the moors until we burnt it it down 1000 years ago for farming etc.

But now it looks great.
Posted: Tue 16th Aug 2011, 22:18
The Rugby Club also had Rugby players ...

Not that I was interested.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Mon 15th Aug 2011, 23:44
Local Group: Northumbria
There's certainly a good number of excellent viewpoints on the Hanging Stone - Highcliff Nab, Captain Cook's monument, the Hanging Stone itself and Roseberry Topping. I think the best part is the walk is up one side of Baysdale to Hob Hole and back again in the other direction. A lot of the forestry has been cut down and there was a great view of the mouth of the Tees from the HS. The Cleveland group put on a good spread at the finish and the Rugby Club bar was open for drinks.
Author: Simon Broughton
Posted: Mon 15th Aug 2011, 21:44
Local Group: East Yorkshire
for some reason i havent done this event for 3 or 4 years and cant think why as its a cracking route and event , i really enjoyed it. youre right eileen the heather was was in full bloom and a joy to look at. smugglers is another great event and also the pathfinder from comondale too ,and it shares a few miles of hanging stone route aswell. two more ill be on :-)
Posted: Sun 14th Aug 2011, 20:48
A superb event with delicious food at the end! But take your own food on route if you fancy anything savoury- otherwise it's all cakes and sweets.

The moors were in full bloom with purple scented heather. Plenty of ascent to get the heart going and wonderful views! Thanks to Cleveland group for continuing to put this event on.

And everyone wanting to see the North Yorks Moors in full scented bloom try out Smugglers Trod on August Bank Holiday weekend. It is worth it for the purple vies and heady scent!

Plus you might see the odd pirate or wench with low cut blouse!

Again take your own savoury snacks and sandwiches because there is nothing on route except sweet cakes. Though you can get bacon bap at the sart and pie and mushy peas at end.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law