Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Walking in the rain

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 1st Aug 2011, 20:18
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I reinforce the opinion that all Paramo waterproofs can be relied upon, although they do tend to be be somewhat heavy and hot in seasons other than Winter. Never been happy with waterproof socks and no so-called waterproof shoes/boots will survive torrential downpours and a boggy moor.
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 29th Jul 2011, 19:01
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi Les.
Wet walking! Horrible! Reccommend "Paramo" 110%, pick jacket/style you like.
Myself i use a ( Velez Smock ). Costly around £160 now i believe.
But oh-so-bloody-Good.
Walked moors in dark & rain on Welsh 100 warm&dry brilliant !!!!!!!! Could'nt use my fingers though to hold my mug when down at checkpoint.
ACTUALLY!! I've, bought a spare.
If you're out regularly, buy one.
Regards Roy.
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2011, 19:45
Local Group: Kent
Hi Les,

Despite the weather it was a good walk, we reached halfway in 12 hrs. and completed in 26.5 hrs. I also wore meindl boots and stuck with the same pair of injinji socks, came out unscathed without any blisters (although the socks were a little ripe at the end.
Author: Les Hereward
Posted: Sun 17th Jul 2011, 17:03
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Hmm! well it was wet!! All my waterproof gear leaked including Gortex shoes, Meindle leather boots, and Sealskinz socks. So went with shorts and 'waterproof' jacket which I managed to dry out before nightfall. I never did get the plastic ponchos out..but did several changes of socks and have no blisters. Did the first 50k in 10 hours then slowed up. Thanks to falling in the mud spent dome time in first aid completed in 25 hours.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Fri 15th Jul 2011, 20:44
Local Group: East Yorkshire
"But I work on the principle that my skin is waterproof therefore I can't come to any harm"

Maybe true that your skin is waterproof, but your bones are not damp proof. I spent most of my working life outside, and hardly ever worked in the rain. But if I did I always went home to soak in a hot bath to warm up again.

When walking in the rain I always tried to keep my lower back dry and warm. I've never dropped out of event because of rain, but I been very close to it.

ian.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 15th Jul 2011, 14:56
Local Group: Surrey
I see heavy rain is forecast for Saturday, scattered showers for Sunday. I'd say that for 100 km, heavy rain, you need good waterproofs. Apart from the exposure aspect, it is miserable walking wet for hours and hours. Uncovered shorts are fine for showery weather, as the moisture can evaporate between showers. I would recommend trying to keep dry, and doubt that a cheap plastic poncho will do the job. Also ponchos blow around. If you have a good jacket, take that and wrap a sheet of plastic around your waist to extend to below your shorts. I used this system on the Pennine Way and it worked well. Also take 3 - 4 pairs dry socks.
Posted: Wed 13th Jul 2011, 22:02
Thanks I was thinking along the lines of that...shorts rather than trousers, trying to reduce abrasion. Got some plastic ponchos at a few pounds each since technical expensive waterproofs always seem to leak after an hour or so.
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 13th Jul 2011, 21:20
It might not help you much but I work on the principle that my skin is waterproof therefore I can`t come to any harm , and just get on with it, seems to work for me as I have never DNFd because of rain
Posted: Tue 12th Jul 2011, 7:13
This years Trailwalker looks like it might be ...well damp. Now when I walk in the rain I normally walk till I am very wet and uncomfortable and then beat a retreat. In a 100Km walk this might not be an option. Any hints/experience about walking over long periods of time in rain?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law