Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Attacks by cows

Author: Les Hereward
Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011, 7:50
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
I think this has been milked for all it is worth, time to take the bull by the horns and put it out to grass ;)
Author: Alan Jolly
Posted: Wed 20th Jul 2011, 17:00
Geoff, your story made my stomach "churn", I nearly creamed myself !. It's udderly understandable that you're now wary. And as for the farmer letting it run wild... how dairy?

There was a herd of cattle all standing on a hill when an earthquake struck. All of the cows fell down, but the bull remained standing. The farmer noticing this went out and asked the bull, "Why didn't you fall down like the rest of the herd. The bull replied, "We bulls wobble, but we don't fall down."
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Tue 19th Jul 2011, 19:58
Local Group: Kent
Good to read you're ok and no serious damage done.

It brings back bad memories for me of several years ago when a heard of cows chased me down a hill in the lake district. I've been wary of entering cows fields ever since.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 12th Jul 2011, 22:22
Local Group: High Peak
glad you're ok geoff. no doubt ther'ill be a song about it at christmas, I was talking to a farmer at sheldon during the peak district challenge, not long after a bloke had been killed nearby by a cow, and he said that the cows are more skittish when they're first put back into the fields after winter.
I remember on the last leek moors marathon the field of walkers stretched out about 50 yds apart and this cow charged me i turned around and she stopped , i carried on, she'd charge i'd turn around, she 'd stop, this carried on to the end of the field, much to the merriment of the 2 walkers behind me who were rolling about as though intoxicated with a good dose of black sheep
hope kaths fine as well Ian
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 11th Jul 2011, 23:25
Local Group: Staffordshire
A healthy respect for these doey eyed beasts is good. I worked with a colleage from a farming background. She disliked walking thr' fields of 'other peoples' cows.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Mon 11th Jul 2011, 18:05
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Geoff you have been very lucky to escape with your life. Cows can be very dangerous and I'm always wary of them myself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/hoofed-and-dangerous-britains-killer-cows-1776775.html

ian.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 11th Jul 2011, 16:47
Local Group: Mid Wales
I had a lucky escape a couple of years back. Walking with Matthew, locally up in the hills but on a bit of unfenced tarmac. Heard the thumping of hooves behind and turned just in time to see a cow charging me at full belt. I instintively put my hands up and shouted and she veered off. Had I not turned, she would have flattened me. Matthew and I were both in black and the owner of the herd has black working farm dogs. I am sure it was the black that set this particular animal off, she took exception to us walking within 150 yds of her calf!! I'd still rather cross a field of cattle than a field of horses.. anyday!! Jane
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Mon 11th Jul 2011, 11:45
Local Group: High Peak
I've just discovered to my cost that cows can carry out unprovoked attacks on walkers if they are so inclined. Walking through a field yesterday a lone cow walked towards us; something they often do but usually stop when within a few yards. This one didn't. It got within five yards of me then charged, knocking me off my feet. After a few kicks and head butts from it I managed to give it a prod with a Leki pole and it backed off.

By now, as a result of Kath's shouts and screams, a farmer had come running over and tried to keep the cow at bay while we calmly walked away but it then charged him, fortunately having second thoughts and turning away.

We didn't have a dog, there were no calves around and we weren't wearing bright colours. The cow saw us a a threat and reacted. Things like this are very rare and is the first time in 40 years of walking that we've had a problem. All I can say is be on your guard; cows are usually docile creatures but don't trust them totally!

I'm ok by the way - a bruise or two and some stiffness but no real harm done thank goodness.

Geoff Deighton

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law