Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The ramblings of a baggage handler

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 13th Jul 2011, 17:17
Local Group: High Peak
living in a house of 4 women, toiletries include hairdrier, curling tongs, straightners, mirror, hair brushes assorted,can of hairspray, can of hair straightner, bubble bath, wet wipes, razor, husbands shaving foam, toilet roll ect ect.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sat 9th Jul 2011, 22:35
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thank you Ian and team- it all seems to run very smoothly! Professionalism for you!
I ahve often wondered what do people need at the breakfast stop- everything and the kitchen sink it seems.

I for one just use a small rucksac enough for spare knickers,socks and toiletries.Maybe a new top but as I have stated in previous bothy ramblings - merino wool doesn't smell (except a bit sheepish when wet!)

Thanks you to the breakfast carry on team!
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Sat 9th Jul 2011, 16:21
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Well I've been meaning to write about this for a year or two, but never got around to it.

As some of you may know the same group of people have been doing the baggage on the hundreds for a few years now, and we seem to have claimed the job for the foreseeable future. So I think it's about time I gave you a insight on what it entails and the pitfalls that can happen.

Over the years we have tried to make the job idiot proof (some hope).

In the last few years we have had two different colour tags for bags. One for breakfast stop and one for bags that stay at the finish under our care.

When you bring us your bag (s) at the start with the tags on your bags we ask EVERBODY to confirm that the bag with the breakfast tag on it is your breakfast bag. The reason we do that is, every year walkers do put the wrong tag on the wrong bag (4 this year). So by us inconveniencing 500 people by asking the question we have saved 4 walkers this year the inconvenience of having the wrong bag at breakfast. I have to say that most of the walkers are good about us asking them to confirm breakfast bags but we heard all the smart comments before. Like, do you think I'm stupid? I'm not blind. Why are you asking me, when I know what I'm doing? ect,ect. But It's worth all the flack if we can save just one bag not going to breakfast by mistake.

We will not except any bag without the proper tags on them. You can have as many tags on your bags as you like, but if it as not got the proper tag on it, it will go nowhere. Also we not bothered if your done the Fellsman the fortnight before or you've got tags on from X,Y or Z airlines, all they are doing is muddying the waters.

Now let get down to walking poles. Why do people think is OK to have them sticking out of their breakfast bags. And in the last couple of years we have refused to transport poles that are sticking out and I do believe it states in the event rules as such. But we still have them turn up year after year.

Most walkers reading this will not believe how the breakfast bags vary in weight. Some weigh a pound where others are around 20+ pounds. Now I for one are not too bothered about bags weighing up to 10 pounds or so, but some have enough for a fortnights holiday.

Lets say we have 450 breakfast bags at 8 lbs each that is 3600lbs or 257 stone.

Each bag is moved at the very lest 10 times, so that means 36000lbs or 2257 stone for somebody to carry.

I'm not saying that you have to skimp on what they have in your bags, but if it's not wanted at breakfast leave it in your car or in your finish bags.

Things can and do go wrong, but please take it easy and don't have a go at us, after all we are doing our best. If you turn up at breakfast and your bag is not there, we WILL get it to the next checkpoint for you. This does happen to one person most years for one reason or another.

Now if you drop out before breakfast and you get back quickly to the finish, please do not get upset if your breakfast bag is not there. We will get it back to you as fast as we can. But you have to remember that it can be a 2 hour return trip from breakfast to finish and back to breakfast. So if you drop out just after we have left breakfast back to finish with bags, it can take over 3 hours before your bag get back to you. And no amount of complaining will get it back any quicker.

If you are waiting for your bag and it's our fault, them yes I will apologize to you, but please remember that we are doing our best in sometimes confusing and stressful situations.

This year on Sunday morning as I was leaving breakfast I was asked to look for some bags and bring them back. The numbers where,

#xyz

#abe

Well I could not find bags #4 and 11 but after driving back to the finish I found the owner of bag #411 waiting. So a quick trip to breakfast and back was called for but it still took me over 11/2 to get it back. So yes things do go wrong.

All of us who do the baggage do like it and we are happy to turn up year after year to meet up with you all, but if things do go wrong please don't treat us with contempt. After all we are giving up 3 days to look after you but the only time you'll see us is when something go's wrong.

ian.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law