Skip to page content | Using this site

Member Login: Join

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Crossing EXMOOR ...

Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Tue 24th May 2011, 9:01
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Ian

I have made the download file available - please check. As far as I am aware the Somerset Way is NOT waymarked. Best of luck. John

Posted: Tue 24th May 2011, 1:15
Hello -

I shall shortly be crossing EXMOOR as pat of a Land's End to John o' Groats walk.

( Please see the EVENT at - http://www.ldwa.org.uk/forum/show_topic.php?tpc=1244&dir=S )

Since I shall be stopping every few miles to give short concerts (I sing and accompany myself on piano), I am anxious to pass through a few villages, have fun, follow the most beautiful path, but above all, NOT TO GET LOST, since this could be disastrous for a necessarily highly-organized schedule.

I have noted the main routes -

The Macmillan Way,from Barnstaple ...
The Samaritans Way ...
The Summits of Somerset and Avon ...
The Somerset Way ...

I am sure to take the Macmillan Way as far as mid-Exmoor. I am then undecided as to which of the paths to take, as far as Bridgwater.

From then on, my route is towards Bristol, via Glastonbury, Wells, Croscombe & Bath, so I had thought to follow the Somerset Way.

I note that the MACMILLAN & SAMARITANS are WAYMARKED.

BUT IS THIS THE CASE ALSO for the OTHER TWO PATHS.

In other words, CAN YOU TELL ME WHETHER IT IS EASY TO FOLLOW THE SOMERSET WAY & THE SUMMITS OF SOMERSET AND AVON PATHS ?

CAN YOU ALSO TELL ME OF THE PLUSs & MINUSEs of THESE PATHS ?

I note from the page for the SOMERSET WAY on this website that -

" Publication out of print. The author, Laurence Main, has kindly allowed a tracklogs file to be produced with is available to members to download. "

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?menu_type=S&path_id=8714

I have looked EVERYWHERE (I think) but can't find said DOWNLOAD.

CAN YOU HELP WITH THESE QUESTIONS ?

Many thanks !

Ian