Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Capability's Overview Reviewed

Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 17th May 2011, 22:03
Local Group: East Yorkshire
The links don't work, maybe it's because they have not be excepted by Geograph yet?

ian.
Posted: Tue 17th May 2011, 22:01
John I would rather look at the first one over the second one anytime. ;-)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2413313

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2413321

ian
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Mon 16th May 2011, 21:53
Local Group: Staffordshire
Yes - this was a treat of a route with extensive views across the rolling wolds. Back to back with the Windmill from Skidby on Saturday, it was also good 'loosening up' weekend before the 100. Thank you to both 'Windmill' and 'Capability Brown' organisers and supporters.
Posted: Mon 16th May 2011, 20:18
First time I've done this walk and yes I was surprised about the low turnout. OK so it was held 2 weeks before the hundred but is a perfect walk to do. No true hills just gentle slopes, good paths and tracks. If it's held next year then do give it a go.

ian.

PS

If any newbie hundred miler's out there who thinks they should be doing a hard walk two weeks before the hundred to get fit, sorry but you've left it too late.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 16th May 2011, 9:41
Local Group: Lakeland
We also had a disappointing entry on Spring in Lakeland. Not sure why, although we did manage to choose the same weekend as the Fellsman. Entries on the day probably discouraged by some classic Lake District weather. One of those days when checkpointing in a nice dry hall was the better option!
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 16th May 2011, 9:11
My first time on this event but it won't be the last. Only just over 50 participants on the long route (there is a 10ml village walk) which is a disappointing turnout bearing in mind the efforts made to secure access to private land for the day.
The route is based on Sledmere and is virtually all off public footpath and the views can only be enjoyed once a year - Crowfoot Slack was particularly worth the effort. I will also not forget the herd of cattle thundering down Fairy Dale - thankfully we were on the top edge of the dale and out of their line of travel.
Catering was first class - not many events nowadays where the organisers take the trouble to put together salad sandwiches! The spread at the end had to be seen to be believed (Woldsman walkers will understand).
As John says, probably too many competing events on the same weekend, but this event is worth the effort.
A big thank you to all the organisers and also to the landowners who made this event possible. The day may be over but the memories will linger.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 16th May 2011, 7:57
Great couple of days on recce, then sweeping CO over the Wolds with good weather. Walking each with Geograph fanatics (you have to populate all of the UK with online photos in OS style 1km sq boxes) and rivals, firstly Martin Dawes on the recce and then Ian Sykes on the sweep, while Martin fretted at cp's about losing entrants on the greatly changed route. We did worry about the infamous Malcolm Reid, never a one to worry too much about the actual route.

We tried hard not to hassle the back markers to the extent of them disappearing far over the horizon. I put this down to Ian's philosophy of speed variation to match the punters, but I did notice that we accelerated to catch up a young lady from Hull, and then the philosophy simply evaporated. There will probably be a delightful rear view on Geograph.

As I posted elsewhere, we get far far less people on this walk than Rudolph's in December. Similar super terrain and scenic views, but CO offers once a year opportunity to do mostly off-footpath stuff. Strange, too many other attractions this weekend?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law