Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Friars Balsam

Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sun 8th May 2011, 20:41
Local Group: Staffordshire
Thank you Graham. That confirms that I have the 'compound'. I guess I was expecting a cream or ointment, and not a liquid formulation. Thanks again - lets hope its as efficacious as stated!
Louise
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Sun 8th May 2011, 13:00
Local Group: Kent
Hi Louise,

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tincture_of_benzoin

Regards

Graham
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sat 7th May 2011, 21:29
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hello Ian {Koszalinski] - I've read your 2008 comment about Friars Balsam which was interesting because I found a comment about it on the Internet for the treatment of blisters. The article suggested that the remedy was used by the army. It had the nickname 'red hot poker' because it stings - but then it is very effective. The article emphasised that one should use the 'compound' and not the 'tincture' as the compound has the added advantage that it allows tape to stick to the skin afterwards - in fact it may enhance adherence.
So - I went to a pharmacy today to get some for the 100! and have come away with a liquid formulation. Because I was wittering on about the 'compound' the pharmacist looked it up in Martindales, but could not find an alternative formulation. Since you have used it before - is yours a solid or a liquid?
This is to Ian - but if anyone else know - please do respond.
Thank you Louise

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law