Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Flapping Toe Protectors

Author: John Dally
Posted: Fri 6th May 2011, 17:06
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. Since Louise's posting I have discovered that the problem was terminal and the trainers are now the playthings of the dogs living at the B&B I was staying at in Settle. I would point out that I was not downhearted - pissed off is nearer the mark as I was hoping they would carry me through The Fellsman and The 100. They didn't owe me anything - it was just bad timing.
I have tried various glues in the past, but they all fail if conditions are wet - don't think that will be a problem this year. I was hoping that some sage of walking had a near lethal brew of a glue made from unmentionable ingredients mixed while chanting some incantation at midnight. I have now purchased new trainers which normally do not cause me any difficulties even when new. Will muddy them up a bit to avoid the usual comments from comedians at the starts of the aforementined events.
John
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 5th May 2011, 11:32
Local Group: Dorset
It happens a lot, sometimes it seems to depend on the way someone walks

Most superglues, Evostik special or polyurethane based glues will do the job.

Make sure the surfaces are clean and dry, stuff the shoe inside for firmness and weight or clamp after glueing. Or, I have taped them in position with masking tape or duct tape , which can be removed afterwards when the glue is set

How old are the shoes ? If they are very worn on the sole or uppers it is probably not worth bothering - and don't start a long tough challenge event in a clapped out pair of shoes...
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Wed 4th May 2011, 22:33
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi Everyone,
I was phoned today by a 100er who is mightly downhearted because the toe protectors on his favourite trainers are 'flapping about' [he advised me that folks that wear trainers would know what that meant!!]. Anyway he does not have access to technology at the moment so asked if I would post this request for HELP!
He is looking for advice about repairing his trainers - so can anyone help? Any advice about glue that would work?
Thank you
Louise [A boot person]

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law