Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - 100 mile walkers, a question.

Posted: Tue 31st May 2011, 16:21
Yeah I know and realise it can be covered in 65 hours by Fell Runners on a virtual non stop crossing. However my point is that it was claimed to have been WALKED by guys with full backbacks on a self sufficient basis.
I have recently (over the hot Easter break) walked it from E to W carrying a wild camping pack in a total time of 4 days 11 hours (107 Hrs) during that time, my actual time walking was only 61 hours, but it is very surprising how the little stops add up.
The full breakdown was :-
Walking - 61 hours.#
Total stops whilst on the move - 10 hours.
Time spent camped 35 hours.

I was starting on average at 4.45 am and pitching my tent at 8pm, only stopping en route for a quick pub meal where it was possible for about 45 minutes, other stops included chatting to fellow walkers, taking 220 photos, foot care etc.
At the extreme I could see an 85 hour crossing possible, but 65 hrs is little more than the fell Runners time, so seems a nonsense to my thinking.
Dave.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Mon 23rd May 2011, 14:12
Local Group: Dorset
Assuming it's not a route cluttered with contours or too difficult under foot, with a couple of stops (& loud alarm clocks) the main difficulty would be water which would quickly add up to a big weight even if it wasn't hot sunny weather. Assuming you're allowed to fill up at the stop points, you'd still be talking a lot of weight if you couldn't rely on public taps or personal supported along the way. But it would be do-able. The food needn't be too much weight. How many pounds of biscuits would you need?
Author: Paul Miller
Posted: Fri 15th Apr 2011, 0:15
Been done in one go, but supported. There's a thread on the FRA forum here... http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?10360-Coast-to-Coast/page3&highlight=coast+coast

Go the page 3 for a short report from one of the helpers.

There are another 2 guys having a go in a couple of weeks time, again aiming for 60 hours. Mad the lot of them :)
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 14th Apr 2011, 11:19
Local Group: Dorset
I don't believe it either. I do know of people who have covered similar distances in 72 hours, but were well supported, so they were hardly carrying any gear at all.

190 miles in 65 hours, yomping it, with all your own food, water, bivvy gear ? Hmm. This is at the extreme end of human capability. It might be just possible for an exceptional athlete, but is it actually true? Who (and why) bother?

A group of people doing it ? No, I don't think so. I think the reason it is "shrouded in secrecy" is because it is a tall story.

I will believe it is being done, when I see it being done...
Posted: Wed 13th Apr 2011, 18:56
All you who have done the 100 miler or particularly those who have experienced several of them, and know the feeling.
I have recently heard from a guy who who claims to know of an annual Coast to Coast event that is shrouded in apparent secrecy, that has a time limit of 65 hours. Yes 65 hours to get across from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay via their own chosen route. The check places however are so positioned that most of the official route needs to be used.
They also have to be self sufficient carrying everything, inc food water and Bivvy gear. They have two stops where it is claimed most get between 3 and 4 hours sleep, and then they all set off again early morning at a pre arranged start time. So if they only have two stops of say 3 hours each thats 6 hours total, leaving 59 hours to cover 190 mile or so.
To my mind to have any chance of that they would have to run or trot a considerable amount, yet he says this would not be possible due to the amount of gear.
Apparently 50 or so enter each year and 75% succeed.
Am I being pessimistic when I say I am having trouble believing this. I did the C2C last year in just over 4.5 days carrying my own gear and finished with my feet shot to bits. My background also includes many LDPs done as Non Stoppers e.g. Dales Way 84 mile (several Times) in av 30 hours, Cumbria Way 75 miles (several Times) in 30 hours, Ribble Way 72 miles in 26 hours. So you see i have some experience of high mileage and fast pace with a pack.
This report from this guy just doesn't add up tp me.
What do you think, all comments welcome, even if its simply a yes, sounds reasonable, or a no you don't believe it.
Dave.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law