Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Food & Snacks

Posted: Mon 12th Sep 2011, 16:54
I'm not a 100 miles in 2 days kind of walker. On multiday hikes my favourite day snack is beef jerky with dried fruit - mango and pineapple are my favourites (like Mike I like apricots too but they give me terrible wind - sadly not enough to act as jet propulsion).
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Thu 1st Sep 2011, 21:18
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
cheese and Ritz! On every checkpoint please! (not on 100 of course) although....maybe!
Author: Simon Broughton
Posted: Thu 1st Sep 2011, 21:01
Local Group: East Yorkshire
mash potatoe with grated cheese for long long and for short ones a bag of haribos or liqoirice allsorts works for me and the odd biccy at cps works for me
Author: Allan Hunn
Posted: Fri 26th Aug 2011, 20:51
Local Group: Wiltshire
Complan - can use milk or water
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Mon 18th Apr 2011, 22:29
Local Group: Sherwood
Cold mild would be nice but that should have been "cold milk" of course.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Mon 18th Apr 2011, 22:27
Local Group: Sherwood
I've recently become converted to Boots' Energise sports nutrition drink - a chocolate-flavour powder that I mix with milk (not water). Plenty of calories, supposedly nutritionally well balanced. I find that a bottle of that sipped over an hour or so on long events works wonders. Tastes like Nesquick but it must be better than that because it's a million times the price of Nesquick.

But I'm wondering: how do I come by half a litre of cold mild halfway through a Hundred to mix the requisite supply?
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 11th Apr 2011, 20:02
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
First time I did the 100 I relied on cigs and a good puff (a smoke I mean) at every checkpoint - I know, shock,horror and disgust. I lost weight.

These days no puffs at checkpoints and I eat and eat at every one and drink tea by the bucket. Even at the first checkpoint!

I prefer savoury more than sweet. But by day 2 and 2nd night- no food or tea holds much interest! Well maybe .. pork pies,cheese,salty biscuits,crisps,chips. Just kidding. The best food for me is soup in the final stages. Warm and can swallow without any chewing which takes far too much energy up!

But in the final 20 miles or so no food or drink except soup, and BED or any flat surface,lying flat out horizontally mainly occupies my thoughts at the end! I think of that sometimes anyway but especially on the 100.

I promise not to sleep on the kitchen floor ever again!

Thank you in advance food suppliers/check pointers!
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Fri 8th Apr 2011, 22:10
Local Group: West Yorkshire
A couple of things I'd add - part of it is experience - the first year I did a hundred I had a bit of trouble eating, just didn't fancy anything. But the other 2 years I've done them I haven't had that trouble. My view of that is that body just got used to the abuse!

I quite like more savoury stuff - sandwiches - cheese spread and jam (but not together!) go down quite well. And variety. If you have the same food at every checkpoint you start to go off it!

People also reckon on having mints and/or fizzy drinks with the food helps to digest it / take away any sickness or nausea. Not totally convinced about the fizzy drinks myself, but I know a lot of people who swear by it. At one of the 100 checkpoints last year, I took a handful of mint imperials and it was good to have one of those every so often.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 8th Apr 2011, 19:40
Local Group: East Lancashire
Favorites of mine are, in no particular order, Muller Rice, several flavours to go at. (Don't forget a teaspoon, ask me how I know)
Brown bread sandwiches of sliced banana drizzled with honey (carbs, protein and sugar all in one simple tasty package) Quaker oat bars, moist and VERY tasty.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 8th Apr 2011, 17:27
Local Group: Dorset
Graham, you will find that on most longer LDWA challenge walks, the organisers have anticipated this quite common problem, particularly at the later CPs

We have had individual yogurts, jelly + fruit+ custard or any permutation thereof, rice pudding and various tinned fruit (the blackcurrants were good with rice). Bananas

Home made soup of all kinds

Rhurbarb and apple crumble + custard (oh yeah !!)

En route. I consume (among other things) "ready to eat from packet" soft dried fruit. Apricots and figs are particularly good, even when you don't really feel like eating.

and hot chocolate drinks in the early hours of morning.

(You will not starve on a hundred)
Author: Graham Perry
Posted: Thu 7th Apr 2011, 21:35
Local Group: Kent
When out walking long distances I find that I struggle to consume solid foodstuffs. However I don't have a problem with my fluid intake.
Have you any advice you can give on the best foods to consume or any favourite concoctions / recipes you're happy to share?

Thanks in anticipation

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law