Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Walkers Back-Up!!

Posted: Wed 30th Mar 2011, 14:04
I have recently completed the West Highland Way, The Cateran Trail and The Arden Way and am all set to return to complete the WHW again in May 2011. Whilst all of my walks to date have been self-organised and self-guided it occurs to me that the one gaping hole in all multi-day walks planning is the lack of back-up. As I am now getting close to retirement I am seking to put something back into walking and I feel that a walkers back-up service would go some way to achieve this. My proposal is to start with small groups up to 4 in number and collect them from one fixed point before conveying them to the beginning of their walk. I would then meet them on a regular basis, as paths cross roads, and supply water, energy food and drinks and first aid kits. This would also double as a bag-carrying service leaving the walkers to travel light. At the end of each day walkers would be taken to their chosen accommodation and collected next day to re-commence their walk. At the end of the walk the walkers would be returned to the original pick up point. So no transport to arrange, out or back, no bag-carrying service required, and the peace of mind that should emergency assistance be needed, someone knows where they are. How much would people be prepared to pay for such a service? How much in demand is it? Would parties larger than 4 benefit? Would it help those who enjoy wild camping to have their food and equipment transported for them? So many questions but I am confident that all can be overcome to the betterment of all walkers, even those taking on a day-long challenge. Please feed back to me at eddiepovey2@yahoo.co.uk.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law