Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - how many pairs of shoes for a 100 continued

Posted: Thu 9th Jun 2011, 20:30
Just changing socks may not be enough for some people's feet. I suspect from observing that some walkers are paranoid about getting their feet wet while others don't give a dam that as well as size differences feet have varying skin.

I've not done a 100 but based on what has happened at lesser distances, for me hot and dry feet appears to be the worse combination. Rubbing in a Cocoa Butter based cream as well as a sock change helps especially in hot dry conditions. However for me, getting my feet wet prior to any blister occuring has not been a problem even in cold conditions. If for you wet feet means blisters Cocoa Butter may not be the answer. I have seen some folk making copious use of talcom powder on events which presumably works for them.
Author: Colin Baker
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2011, 21:36
Local Group: Bristol & West
hi, sorry couldnt reply to the original for some reason, thanks for the posts there. Ive been experimenting with trainers for 30 mile walks and seem to get more blisters than with boots which is odd. I think its the softer sole unit which causes me to try and grip with my toes. I have two identicle pairs in a larger size and was hoping to change socks every 20 miles and then the shoes at the half way point. however, I may go for the roclite boots and change to a pair of the trainers at the halfway point if my feet need a softer ride, if not I will keep the boots on.

I agree that its more important to change socks regularly, keep the nasty blisters at bay :-)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law