Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Troller's Trot, March 5th 2011

Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 8th Mar 2011, 19:46
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Sara. I think the best thing for future events you are considering is to enter for LDWA events. That way you can be assured ( I hope!) that it isn't a runners event.

I think you were a bit unlucky with this one as the runners had taken it over and there was no indictaion as to that!
Author: Sara Dyer
Posted: Mon 7th Mar 2011, 22:48
Local Group: The Irregulars
I ran (slowly) this event some years ago - It had snowed overnight and was so beautiful I was dubious about doing it again as I thought it would have to be a disappointment. Being very unfit for a variety of reasons, including a just mended broken arm, but really wanting to do the 100 this year I'm concentrating on walking at the moment and entered with a group of friends as a birthday celebration - and it was a diappointment. I did not pick up on the change of style and turned up expecting a pre-start tea and the usual standard of refreshment on the way round and so carried only emergency food.
A biscuit would have been nice at the church so we were looking forward to the refreshment stop where we found 1 digestive each and a small cup of tea (anyone behind us got nothing to eat as that was the end of the packet). The marshall wasn't at all apologetic (he wasn't far from the event centre)and we just felt we were at the wrong event. Things picked up slightly as the next checkpoint had digestive biscuits and a cheap sponge cake! and the jacket potato at the end was good. I like route descriptions and certificates (both mentioned in the details but not to be seen). The route is beautiful so I am glad someone has taken this event on but is it appropriate to advertise it in Strider when it was abviously aimed at runners.I think the change of style should have been made clear. Runners eating all the food will be a standing joke for some time to come amongst my friends but lots of events cope happily with runners and walkers. A bit of an embarassment after all the stories my friends have heard about the amazing refreshments, often just from the back of a car, and marshalls who can't do enough for you at LDWA events. Judging by the FRA forum, the runnres enjoyed themselves but how many are LDWA members?
Posted: Sun 6th Mar 2011, 22:28
Another good thing from the Runners thank you- was the idea on the check points of ticking your numbers card with a highlighter pen. On many checkpoint events this could be the checkpoint number? This saves clipping the tally with clippers that don't work. Or in some groups= cutting with scissors!
Posted: Sun 6th Mar 2011, 22:21
I wasn't gawping at the bare legs Helen.....as you well know of course! It was the totally fit bods the runners have. Well done to them!
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 6th Mar 2011, 22:15
Local Group: Merseystride
You could definitely tell this was a runners-run event, even if you weren't gawping at all the bare legs like Eileen was..... ;-)

There was no pre-event tea and toast, and next-to-nothing in the way of food on the way round, and we were all expected to pin numbers onto our persons (or rucksacks, or whatever), in place on good old-fashioned tallies on bits of string. Very odd. Oh yes, and there were people wandering around at the start with those clipboard-thing with integral rain-covers on. Dead giveaway that there are runners about.

On the other hand, the scenery was fantastic, and the organisers were frighteningly young and enthusiastic, and very friendly, even when they were sat in cold cars in the middle of nowhere on checkpoint duty. The food (baked potatoes and chilli) at the end was plentiful and tasty, and the sports massage was a really Good Idea. (See Bothy for more on this...) A very enjoyable event, and the first time I've cracked 25 miles in one go, so all in all a good day out. I'd recommend this event - but if you're used to LDWA rations, bring plenty of your own food!

[Helen]
Posted: Sun 6th Mar 2011, 21:17
Simple fare? Down right no fare!!! The refreshments at only 2 of 8 checkpoints were the luxury of digestive biscuits- no splashing out even on the choccy ones. the second checkpoint to provide refreshments had the luxury of..... digestive biscuit AND fairy bun- yippee! No tasting the marshalls/checkpointers goodie bag of savoury filled baps /crisps/choc brownies! But at least we had TEA at 2 checkpoints so well done and thank you. And thank you for the food at end. But if I hadn't brought my own food I wouldn't have made it to the end.

This is now a runners event. No food! But I think I am being spoilt by the LDWA events maybe? But at a cost of £11 on the day entry, please LDWA don't go down the runners way of events. At least the charities will get all the money.

BUT ignore my moans, this is a very good event to do if your a runner or walker, fantastic scenery, very very pleasant folks doing checkpointing and marshalling and very accomodating to us walkers so thank you very much!

I saw hardly any LDWA members by the way- I felt like I was dressed for a Polar expedition as well! I wasn't wearing lycra shorts. But the sight of the male runners- I think I will become a runner!

And the sports massage/biomechanical manipulation at end!

Further description on the Bothy page. Adults only viewing!

Just joking Simon honest! But please view the Bothy page anyway.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 6th Mar 2011, 9:01
Local Group: Merseystride
The event is "Under New Management" by a local running club, and I can certainly see why this route would appeal. The 25-mile circuit is along good paths and tracks and makes for quick passage. Almost 400 started, mostly runners, and the winner was back in 2hours 53mins!
Whilst normally a slowish runner, I walked today with my wife. The checkpoints were frequent, three had drinks, and two of those had very simple fare - biscuits and a few buns. The staff were really friendly and the whole event felt cheery and enthusiastic. Baked potato and chili at the end, and my wife took advantage of the Sports Massage!
My only observations :- Tea & Toast at the start would be nice, and a little better fare at the checkpoints. Add a couple of pounds to the entry fee to cover this.
I hope the new organisers felt encouraged by this first event and I certainly will be back next year. [Garfield]

Some photos :- https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=345117&id=726015791&l=76e7e4f7cc

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law