Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Completed West Highland Way, what next, what time of year, suggested layover stops?

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 19th Aug 2011, 22:31
Local Group: Mid Wales
Offas Dyke is good, but I live here so would think that.
Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, the best, just been voted (or "I read it in the paper") one of the worlds great trails, or somesuch nonesense. Having done it, it's a goodun.

So basically, we all favour our regions.....Wales is best!!!

Matt.
Posted: Fri 19th Aug 2011, 10:53
Hi,

I can recommend the Cleveland Way. It is easy walking (108 miles so similar to the WHW), was almost deserted when I and a friend walked it in July, had great views and there are lots of pleasant places to have rest days. The first part is along the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors then along the North Sea Coast from Saltburn-on-Sea down to Filey. It might be easier for you to book accomodation through a company as it can be a little sparse on trail - unless you're prepared to go off trail for a couple of miles. I did the Coast to Coast some years ago and although it is a nice walk, it was pretty busy then (in Summer). Friends who have walked it recently have echoed this. The greatest number of walkers we met on the Cleveland Way were Coast to Coasters (the C2C follows part of the Cleveland way for about a day).
Hope this is useful.
Posted: Thu 31st Mar 2011, 19:53
I would suggest you take a look at Wainwrights Coast to Coast (C2C). Yes it is twice the distance but the variety of scenery is unparalleled! It is well serviced by bag carriage services and has a plethora of places to stay. All in all a very fine walk!
Author: Brian Marshall
Posted: Mon 7th Feb 2011, 16:30
I completed the West Highland Way in May 2010.I enjoyed it so much that when looking for something similar in Scotland for 2011 I came across the East Highland Way which runs from Fort William to Aviemore.I use a company based in Glasgow called Macs Adventure Holidays.I would highly recommend them to anyone.I shall be going on the EHE Way in May this year.May see you there?
Brian Marshall.
Posted: Sun 16th Jan 2011, 20:25
I would say 1) Great Glen Way because it continues where you finished
2) Hadrians Wall Because I am biased
3) Cumbria Way " "
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 16th Jan 2011, 19:51
Local Group: Surrey
They are all good, with different characters, but if you're coming all the way from the US, you'd want something extra special.

I'd go for Offa's Dyke. It has history, a wonderful variety of landscapes and some beautiful scenery, uniquely British. Best time? Wales can be wet at any time, but Spring is favourite, I'd say. Plenty of B&Bs also. Just look at the Offa's Dyke websites. If you come at the end of May you might see us on the Housman Hundred.
Posted: Sun 16th Jan 2011, 16:08
My wife and I completed WHW a couple of years ago and really liked it, particularly the more remote sections and the moors and we liked the varied terrain. The nicest day was from Bridge of Orchy to King's Hotel. We are looking for a walk of similar challenge with B & B s / inns a reasonable distance apart. We like varied landscape and were thinking of a coastal walk, but not required. We are looking for a 6-9 day hike.

We can go anytime of year, would like to avoid crowds, what is the best time to go?

Marked or unmarked is fine.

If suggesting a trail that takes more than 9 days, which section is best? If no luggage transport is available, we will carry our own gear.

We like to take a layover day in a nice location about every three days, so suggestions on where to layover would be great as well.

Here are some ideas I have gotten from looking at other Forum posts and reading UK Trailwalkers Handbook:

Cumbrian Way
Hadrian’s Wall
Offa’s Dyke
Cleveland Way
Yorks Wolds Way
Great Glen Way
Pembrokeshire coastal path
Southwest coastal path

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law