Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Accidents on events

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 15th Jan 2011, 19:16
Local Group: Sherwood
Thank you both - that's just the sort of sensible and objective advice I needed.

Armorel
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 14th Jan 2011, 21:11
Local Group: Surrey
I agree, you should tell the organiser in a case like this, even if it is mentioned in the route description.

A spike in the path can be rendered innocuous by bending it over with a hammer or even a brick, or at least telling the responsible authority about it so they can remedy it.

We certainly don’t want to descend into a blame culture like in the US, but some hazards are negligence or worse, deliberate.Top of the list of deliberate hazards is when, on a narrow enclosed path, the farmer puts barbed wire on the path side of a fence post. I would say the farmer would be liable for injuries resulting from that.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Fri 14th Jan 2011, 20:29
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Armorel, very sorry to read of your injury on an event. I suggest that you do let the organizer know of your mishap and for him to enter the details in their accident record. It is always useful for that organiser and for others to be aware of incidents and accidents on organized walks and events, in the hope that a similar thing does not happen to others.

From an insurance point of view, you will be aware, that the LDWA insurance does cover the organiser (if it is an LDWA challenge event) against risks from third parties. You in these circumstances would be the third party however you would have to prove the organiser was in fact negligent. It looks like the organiser(s) have taken reasonable precautions against such an event. The LDWA insurance does not cover personal injury and although long distance walking is a low risk activity it might be advisable for some people to take out personal injury insurance.

Hope you get back to full fitness soon.

John
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Fri 14th Jan 2011, 18:49
Local Group: Sherwood
On a recent challenge walk I tripped over a metal spike protruding from the footpath, which pierced my shin. At the time I simply carried on walking, and it wasn't until I got home that the severity of the injury became clear. I had to go to A&E for stitches, am still going to the surgery frequently for checks and have been told that I shouldn't engage in any physical activity for about 5 weeks, to give the still open wound a chance to heal. For someone who relies on walking, running and cycling to keep fit and sane, this enforced inactivity - and the need to cancel other events I had entered - is deeply frustrating!

The question I am pondering is whether I should or should not mention to the organiser of the event that I sustained quite a serious injury on the day. On the one hand, I know that I entered it entirely at my own risk and I signed a disclaimer absolving the organisers from all responsibility - so there is no sense in which I can "blame" them. The offending stake was in fact mentioned in the route description - the ironic point being that the reason I fell over the spike was that I had my head so deep in the route description, trying to work out just where I had got to, that I read the relevant warning about 2 seconds after I had tripped over the thing. On the other hand, it's possible that some organisers take an interest in the health and safety thing and might at least like to be aware of accidents, and just possible that something could be done to stop the same thing happening to someone else next year.

So do I say anything or do I keep quiet, on the grounds that it's my responsibility and no one elses?

Armorel

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law