Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Swelling of the feet.

Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2011, 17:30
Same thing happened again following my 4.5 day Coast to coast, averaging 42 miles per day with a wild camping pack and again just the other week when i did a Non Stopper of the dales Way in 32 hours.
I think Trauma may be reason too. My doc says its simply muscle damage due to massive overuse, another theory is that as one gets older the veins harden and the blood return is restricted, causing fluid retention.
dave.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2011, 18:28
Local Group: Staffordshire
It could also be inflammation caused by 'trauma' (ie constant bashing of the feet) - this is what a medic once suggested to me. He also said that if it lasts more then 3 to 4 days then one should seek medical advice. Any medics want to comment? Louise
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2011, 11:35
Local Group: Surrey
I have exactly this now. No swelling during the Housman, but 24 hours or so afterwards it starts. I think its due to rehydration: I don't drink enough on the walking event, then make a point of drinking a lot afterwards. The water then seems to pool around my ankles.
Posted: Thu 23rd Dec 2010, 13:51
Thanks for your replies, the odd thing is that the swelling doesn't take place during the walks, but builds up between 24 and 48 hours once back home.
Dave.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 20th Dec 2010, 19:31
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I think the clue is your distance/day. You were on your feet upright for a long time! And over quite a few days. Try more fluid intake and keep your legs above your head at night when resting.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 20th Dec 2010, 17:46
Local Group: Marches
I get this in my hands and I was told it was a sign of dehydration, and pooling of body fluid.......not nice though!
Posted: Sat 6th Nov 2010, 15:36
Does anyone know the cause of swelling of the feet and ankle that build up following multi day long distance lightweight backpacking. I did the Pennine Way in 9 days averaging 30 miles a day, and more recently the Coast to Coast in just over 4.5 days averaging 42 miles per day. These are the only time it has happened. I have walked many non stoppers of between 75 and 90 miles in 30 odd hours and never suffered swollen feet, so why does it happen on these multi day trips? The last time the swelling was so bad, the returning blood from my feet was restricted and felt as though they would burst if I lowered them from the elevated position. This lasted 7 days until the inflammation finally subsided.
Dave.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law