Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - NEW CHALLENGE WALK EVENT - The Rhondda Rollercoaster

Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 21st Feb 2011, 19:13
Local Group: South Wales
The event is now taking entries despite not having made Strider yet!!! Please be aware that the reason for our delay in advertising the event, was because of access issues on a mountain where new wind turbines are being constructed. Following negotation, the path that has been closed to walkers has been opened for us for the day of the event.

The event will be advertised in April's Strider, but you can get ahead of the game by entering now. We are taking on line entries, and hope that we will hear from you all in due course.

The link to the online entries is

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=428

Our website, with more information about the event is

http://www.southwalesldwa.org/swldwa_home.htm
Posted: Thu 18th Nov 2010, 21:58
The online booking system is now live. For those who wish to enter the Rhondda Rollercoaster on line, then please follow this link.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=428

Regards,

David
Posted: Thu 11th Nov 2010, 19:03
Ok, just a quick update. The South Wales group is joining the 21st century with regards to the online entries system. We are aware that many of you have been pursuing this policy for some time, and having just entered an event in such a manner, can endorse the speed and convenience of such a system.

We are however, going to have to increase the entry fees for such convenience, and so the previously advertised prices will change. We still believe that we are providing a truly value for money event.

Members (pre entered) - £6.20
Non Members (pre entered) - £8.20
On the Day (All) - £10
Posted: Mon 8th Nov 2010, 10:40
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for your post. When you visit us, you will discover that the South Wales Valleys are a beautiful area with extensive views. The group sincerely hopes that we are supported with our new event, as we were with our other new event that was held in October, 'Where Ravens Dare'.

It is a fact that most people on travelling to South Wales overlook the valleys in favour of their bigger cousins to the north, the Brecon Beacons, but us locals know what they're missing out on!!!

There is a youth hostel in nearby Cardiff, and for other information on accommodation, the Tourism Office will help too.

Cardiff Youth Hostel(Tel.02920 462303)

Tourist Information Office (Tel.08701211258)

Regards,

David
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sun 7th Nov 2010, 22:01
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I just read- "we will feed you well at the check points and a meal at the end". So I'm in! But I also noticed the The Valleys Hundred in 2014 bit! So another 100 in the far away area Wales (to me).

Now what age will I be then? I've stopped counting! Sod it I'm going anyway! Age unimportant- if I have 2 legs they will walk.

Do you know, I know nothing about the Welsh walking areas? I tried the last Welsh 100 but stupid me- I went too fast on the first day and I had to give up. And it rained and I was cold. And I live in the North east of the country, so Wales might as well be in another continent to me with our stupid road system. It only goes north to south.

But Wales- thank you for the effort of putting on a new challenge event - are there any YHA hostels in the area? Sod the Fellsman - this will be more fun!

Thanks for the new challenge and me Eileen will be trying it out!
Posted: Fri 5th Nov 2010, 12:38
The South Wales group is organising a new challenge walk that will be held on the 14th May 2011. It will explore the famous South Wales Rhondda valleys and is extremely scenic as it visits several hills that provide extensive views over the Gower, the entire Brecon Beacons mountain ranges, and views across the sea towards Exmoor. The route distance will be 26.5 miles and there will be 5000 feet of ascent. In addition, some of the paths that we are using will be visited during The Valleys Hundred in 2014.

So why tell you now? Well we know that a lot of you plan your challenge walks in advance, and we would ask that you consider our new event. It might only be 26.5 miles, but you'll know you've done the distance, and with two weeks to go before the 100, might be considered an ideal warm up for many.

The route will start from the village of Trehafod, and we will feed you well at the checkpoints and at the finish with home cooked food.

Prices for members in advance will be £5, non members £7 and ALL entries on the day will be £8.

The event has been submitted and will appear on the website in due course, but if I have whet your appetite and interest, please have a look at our website for more information, where you may also read of the adventures of 'Leekman'!!!

http://www.southwalesldwa.org/swldwa_rrc.htm

Regards,

David Morgan
Entries Secretary

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law