Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Personal alarms

Author: Allan Hunn
Posted: Mon 20th Dec 2010, 20:58
Local Group: Wiltshire
I have a GPS Transmitter that I use when going on serious out the way walks or with a local youth organisation. It is set up to transmit my position (Lat Long) every 10 minutes, my position is viewable on a map or a google earth like satellite picture. It comes with an emergency button that when pressed transmits an emergency message to a mobile number of your choice. No mobile phone network coverage needed. If you'd like more details please email me on bear.cub@btopenworld.com.

Allan
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Wed 6th Oct 2010, 20:35
I carry a signal mirror as well as a whistle and torch.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 6th Oct 2010, 16:41
Local Group: Lakeland
The use of personal locator beacons inland may be legalised during 2011. A government committee has been set up to deal the issues involved - will it survive the government cuts? See my article on page 14 of December 2008 Strider for further details on the subject.

It is worth pointing out that since the end of last year a 999 call in the UK will automatically roam to find the best signal on each of the main five networks. There is still no guarantee that you will get a signal but it should have considerably improved the chances in remote areas. It only works one way - return calls e.g. from mountain rescue teams will only get through if you have coverage on your own network.
Author: John King
Posted: Mon 4th Oct 2010, 14:29
A whistle and a torch,
SOS signal being 3 short blasts, 3 long blasts, 3short blasts (on a Whistle or flashes on a torch at night) repeated every minute. then Listen out or look for either 3 blasts on a whistle, or flashes of a torch or even a white flare then you will know that your message has been heard or seen.

Never rely on technology alone after all a whistle, unlike a mobile won`t have issues if the signal is weak or if it has inardvertanly had a soaking.

on the mobile front remember a text message may get through in a low signal area where a voivce callis not possible but it is not to be relied upon.
Good luck
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Sun 3rd Oct 2010, 9:28
Local Group: North Yorkshire
My wife and i do a lot of walking and we prefer to avoid the crowds (our next years are to be spent in the Northern fells where i anticipate meeting few fellow walkers) , and i want to invest in a personal alarm to alert anyone should we come a cropper.
Do any members have any recommendations?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law