Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Coast to Coast in under 5 days..

Posted: Thu 23rd Sep 2010, 14:53
Just to add, I have never used powder, though it may be worth a try. Where do you get yours from, is the stuff you can buy in food shops or health food shops.
What's next? Big question, it will take a couple of months before my feet feel other than raw. I am 65 yrs next year and may well slow down on the extreme stuff, although I will still do multi day good mileage trips. I did the Pennine Way two years ago in nine days walking carrying a wild camping pack, and was comfortable averaging 30 miles a day. The extra 8 miles a day average on this recent trip, I always felt might prove rather hard, and it did, but only on the feet, my legs never felt really fully tested.
Dave.
Posted: Thu 23rd Sep 2010, 14:42
I started out in a single pair of Thorlo Trekking socks, with feet pre Compeeded on the balls of foot, heels and along the inner/under of big toe. I didn't change my socks or even take them off for the first two days. I was aware by the end of the second day that deep heel blisters had manifested, but they were bearable, so I didn't want to disturb. I started the third day with double socks, this time thinner Thorlo Hiking with a thin Smartwool on the outside, and re Compeeded, except that I made the mistake of not bothering to Compeed the balls of feet.
During the third day late on I began to feel a ball of foot blister on my right foot. This quickly became worse, and also one on my left foot in the big toe crease and down to the big toe joint.
By the end of the third day at Richmond I was in considerable discomfort.
The following morning on the fourth day I re Compeeded inc ball of foot (a little late) and put on a single pair of Thorlo Mountaineering socks. This combination saw me through to Robin Hoods bay over the final two days and night, although I had to stop and change a Compeed as I had re blistered the heel.
It had always been toss up for me whether to go the Compeed route or the Lanolin route. I find that what works one time can fail the next, with both methods.
Of course wearing shoes over multi day long distances is inviting blisters with the more movement around your foot, but you are able to move faster than with boots, so that becomes a toss up as well.
If only we could be sure of getting it absolutely right every time.
Dave.
Author: John King
Posted: Thu 23rd Sep 2010, 8:48
Thank`s for the reply David, can I ask what sock`s you wore, and what if anything you used on your feet i.e. Foot powder, Vaseline etc,

Sorry about all the questions but covering long distances on foot is one of lifes great joy`s and by learning from one another then we can hopefully make it more comfortable and avoid problems.

By the way I use Cornflour as a foot powder, rather than The propriety foot powder brands, which are mineral based and therefore abrasive and generates heat, which in all honesty is not what is needed, whereas Cornflour is vegetable matter non abrasive, and does not generate heat.
Again well done.
What`s Next?
Posted: Wed 22nd Sep 2010, 15:54
Hi John,
I wore a pair of North Face Hedgehog shoes. In the dark before sunrise each morning I wore Berghaus Goretex gaiters with waterproof trousers to stop the dew getting inside the shoes. As soon as it warmed up and the grass was drier I took them off. It rained most of the third day and into the night, otherwise it was dry, in fact hot and sunny the first two days, too hot really, awash with sweat all the time. I took a Terra Nova Photon Elite tent, tight for space but did its job and I used the fold up back padding in my OMM 35 ltr sac as a sleep mat, I didn't notice the lack of comfort after the first night. I managed my feet the best I could but carrying on walking on big ball of foot blisters (Only the second time I have ball of foot blisters in over 50 years) is not good and I knew i would pay dearly for it, but was determined to finish within the time.
Dave.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 21st Sep 2010, 20:21
Good walking Dave.
Was that Boots or running shoes you wore, and was the going dry or wet ?
Posted: Tue 21st Sep 2010, 15:51
Been back over a week now, after doing the Wainwrights Coast to Coast as a challenge. I carried a wild camping pack.
Day 1. St Bees to Near Patterdale 46 miles.
Day 2. Grisedale Valley to beyond Sunbiggin Tarn 31 miles.
Day 3. BY Sunbiggin Tarn to Richmond 40 miles.
Day 4/5. Richmond to Robin Hoods Bay 73 miles, done in one go apart from 1.5 hrs in tent.
Total time 4 days 15hrs 48min.
Been off work since with feet fully bandaged due to open ball of foot blisters - you get what you pay for!
Dave.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law