Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Dorset Doddle

Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Mon 20th Sep 2010, 20:09
Local Group: Dorset
Myself, I'm always cautious using 'Accumulative Climb' from a GPS. Looking at that WImborne Runners blog referred to in the previous post, the elevation profile shown (which was downloaded from a GPS used on the Doddle) does exhibit some worrying signs.

For instance, the climb from Swanage seafront to the finish measures about 100ft on the profile shown. But it is only about 50ft (It's well below the 20m contour on the map).
Similarly some of the tops are well off the actual - Houns Tout shows well over 500ft but its only 490ft, Emmetts Hill shows above not below 400ft, St Aldhelms Head not far off 400ft although it is only 345ft.
Conversely, Flowers Barrow looks about 450ft on the profile when it's 550ft on the map.

Do be aware that the height of hills in Dorset are traditionally bothersome - for years Pilsden Pen was recorded as the highest hill in the county, but it never was!
With such a history, it might take a while to sort the total climb on the Doddle. So I'll try not to forget my GPS for the Crypto-Marshall's walk next year so as to get yet another set of 'footage' data.
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Sun 19th Sep 2010, 18:48
Local Group: South Wales
Regarding the ascent on the Doddle, I note the information in a blog from a member of Wimborne Running Club, where the height gain is given as 7978ft. Taking all the climbs into account this seems more realistic than 6300ft mentioned in earlier posts. See the report at
http://www.wimborneac.co.uk/dorset_doddle_2009.htm
Any thoughts folks?
Author: Ben Loudon
Posted: Mon 6th Sep 2010, 23:19
Mike

Thanks for another great event, I have got some photos here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32599708@N04/sets/72157624895110246/

http://benwilderness.blogspot.com/2010/08/dorset-doddle-2010.html

But as you say conditions were not great for photos or walking.

Ben
Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Wed 25th Aug 2010, 22:26
Local Group: London
An answer to my question, great photos and I've learnt a new word (thixotropic) too! - what more could I ask?

Re that 6300 feet of ascent, I did the Long Tour of Bradwell in the Dark Peak a couple of weeks before the Doddle, which is generally reckoned to be a real toughie even among hardened fell runners, and is measured at 31 miles/6300 feet ascent. Knowing that makes my aching legs feel a lot better for some reason ...
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 25th Aug 2010, 13:09
Local Group: Surrey
The terrain of the Giant with rain, mist and mud?

The mind boggles and the body shudders.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 25th Aug 2010, 8:42
Al, 6300 ft of ascent/descent sounds about right.

Well done at CP three and a half. But I am not sure how effective the camouflage at CP4 was. Most people found it eventually. We may try to put it in an underground bunker next year, and make it really difficult to locate.

I have been sent some wonderful photographs of the event by a participant ( it is amazing that they managed to take any photographs at all) Unfortunately the sight of the spooky atmospheric conditions and the incredible thixotropic mud were so terrifying that I do not think we can publish them.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Tue 24th Aug 2010, 17:40
Attempts to measure the climb on the Doddle using my steam-powered GPS yield figures in the region of 6,300 feet.

Regarding the Dorset LDWA's use of checkpoints on the Dorset Doddle, it should be remembered that prior to their adoption of the event there were twice the number of checkpoints. Thus checkpoint personnel are compelled to work twice as hard. The link below (if it works) should go some way to explaining the Dorset LDWA checkpoint policy by way of a pictorial explanation of CP4.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5488&id=100001399714631&l=50e770bc5d
Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Mon 23rd Aug 2010, 14:09
Local Group: London
Thank you to everyone at the checkpoints and elsewhere who braved the rain to make this wonderful event happen. And thank you especially to the man who sat on his own under a big umbrella in a field at the foot of the steps leading down to Chapman's Pool giving directions and encouragement to those who needed it. And to the checkpoint (I forget which one) where they didn't just have the rain to deal with but the swarms of wasps after the orange juice as well.

One question: does anyone happen to know what is the cumulative ascent/descent on that route?
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 23rd Aug 2010, 14:00
A rather wet and spectacularly muddy Doddle this time. However, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and some apparently thought that the rain made it even more interesting and challenging than the usual. ( "the usual" is pretty challenging, even in good weather conditions)

Despite some no shows on the day (they must have looked at the weather forecasrt and thought better of it) of the 182 who actually started, relatively few were forced to retire.

results on our website in due course

We have some lost property left at Swanage. Including a pair of spectacles (?)

If you have lost something, please get in touch

And now we are taking entries for the Giants Daughter

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law