Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - High Weald Challenge

Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Fri 16th Jul 2010, 16:24
Local Group: London
Congratulations to Oliver (oh, alright, and you) on sticking with it to the finish. If it's any consolation, everyone I spoke to found it hard going as the day got hotter. I set out intending to run it in about five hours, wandered aimlessly around a field for about 20 minutes after going wrong somewhere around the 10-mile mark, and settled down to a slow jog/walk after that. Lovely, suprisingly remote countryside in an area I don't know well but will certainly be returning to. Thanks to the organisers for a grand day out.
Author: Jeff Campbell
Posted: Wed 14th Jul 2010, 0:24
Local Group: Surrey
I introduced my 12 year old son to the delights of cross country marathons on the recent High Weald Challenge. Although he had completed a number of 15 and 20 mile events (some with our good friend Dave Green and some with me) the extra miles and an extremely hot day made the going surprisingly tough. Thanks to the wonderful support of the checkpoint people and the encouragement they gave us we managed to get around the 26 mile course. There were times when I wondered if we would actually complete it, mostly due to Oliver’s sore feet and general fatigue. Despite Neil’s magic foot spray, generous helpings of energy rich food and plenty to drink, we did struggle between the latter checkpoints. Oliver felt as bad at 20 miles as we might at 90 miles.

I found it enjoyable to take in things at a slower than usual pace, and we even found time to explore a tree hut and to discover a perfectly intact church pulpit on a bank just to the side of the route – goodness knows why it was there!

Even though we were last to finish, the helpers at Wadhurst kept a very welcome meal ready for us and cheered in a very tired but happy 12 year old (and his Dad!). Thanks again to the Kent group and their wonderful support. I know this father and son team will return for more!

Jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law