Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Hadrians Hike

Posted: Wed 7th Jul 2010, 19:16
John I know of two groups of three that went straight on at Edges Green instead of taking the road to Benks Green and I suspect that there were others from the direction that they came in to Cawfields CP. One of these groups(who were walking a lot faster than me) was having trouble following the PW from Cuddys Crags. Hence the remarks in my other post. Lets put it down to young fitt and in a hurry to get a pint. (one of those lasses had short shorts on legs that shouted "heart attack" to old goats like me)
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Wed 7th Jul 2010, 18:09
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Dave, Not sure how they could miss the self clip - it was easy to see when I passed it. Did they take a short cut? Or had somebody with a mischievous sense of humour moved it?
Posted: Wed 7th Jul 2010, 8:12
Eileen. I am wearing the polo shirt today but I would have been just as pleased with a cloth badge. I think the event is mainly for the fire brigade's to have a bit of a social gathering, I know there were teams of fire brigade people up from Sheffield and other parts of the country and some of them had little idea of map reading or how to pace themselves on hills (one, should we say chubby chappie took a straight 1:3 hill at a 3+ pace and just about melted at the top) I know about weekend work and I feel for you. For years I was either finishing at 06:00 on a Saturday or starting at 18:00 on a Sunday but as often as not both.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Tue 6th Jul 2010, 22:50
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
£12 for soup? Oh I see further to reading- a polo shirt. Perhaps they can fore go the polo shirt and get the rest in profit for their charity? Why not just charge entry fees for the charity for food/drink/entry fees/and for the charity up front upon entry? Who wants another t shirt? Just pay up front. And please- no more t shirts! We don't want to pay for any more t shirts thank you!!
Posted: Tue 6th Jul 2010, 22:15
Erm- that should be- a cuppa and a cuddle for the long walks!!
Posted: Tue 6th Jul 2010, 22:12
Hadrian's Hike? Never heard of it John. Not an LDWA event? But for the Firefighters? Good cause. So many walks on and good causes like these. You do what you can! Especially when working weekends! Role on retirement. 10 years away!! I'll do the challenges-in support-anyone for a cuppa! A cuppa and a cuddle for the long ones.
Posted: Tue 6th Jul 2010, 19:17
There were LDWA there John and for a change it was only a 1/2 hour drive for me (I could have even caught the bus) Though I did not see any of the Northumberland group, there were three lads, who were on the D D last week. It was a good route and one that with a bit of variation I will use again. I hope you caught the self clip point that a few missed.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Tue 6th Jul 2010, 9:27
Local Group: East Yorkshire
A 2.5 hour drive to get to this event at the Twice Brewed Inn - a bit further than I would normally travel but a chance to see an area that I have visited infrequently. 24m Route took in Vindolanda, Allenbanks, Housesteads, a significant area north of Hadrians Wall before the coup de grace with a walk back along the wall from Cawfields. Plenty of cake, cereal bars and cold drinks at checkpoints and an excellent soup at the finish. Entry fee of £12 included a polo shirt. There was also a popular 14 mile option.
It was quite strange to see an event with no runners or joggers - the organisers discourage it.
Also strange to go to an event and not recognise anyone else! Not a problems as the locals were friendly.
Thanks to the Tyne & Wear Fire Service for a great day out - it was well worth the journey.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law