Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Suggestions for next Long Distance Path

Posted: Sun 4th Jul 2010, 16:30
I have done both the Offa's Dyke and the West Highland Way. If you like plenty of company and less challenging shorter route then the WHW is okay. However if you dont mind less company along the way its got to be the OD. The WHW mostly follows the lowland with just two or three passes to cross, whereas the OD is much more undulating with superb patchwork field scenery from an elevated position. If I only had a week then I'd go for the WHW, 11 days for OD.
Dave.
Author: Dennis Gilbert
Posted: Sat 3rd Jul 2010, 9:15
Local Group: Bristol & West
There are some wonderful National Trails and I have had the pleasure of doing them all. Two I would recommend which can be linked up very easily are The Cleveland Way and the Yorks Wolds Way. Both are very beautiful and very few walkers around.
Lots of information on LDWA website and the individual NT websites.

Enjoy your ldp's wherever they are.
Dennis
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 2nd Jul 2010, 18:45
Local Group: Mid Wales
Pembroke coastal path is excellent (but plenty of stiles) and you won't see too many people at that time of year. Very good access to villages etc. for grub and B&B, also good bus service along most of the length. Also no shortage of hills!! Matt.
Posted: Fri 2nd Jul 2010, 10:57
Try the Great Glen Way first as a warm up. It has great transport potential and is a good rout with plenty of options.The Scots that run the B & Bs in the main tourist bits will rip you off but there are a few independent hostels (mixed dorms) then move on to the West Highland Way, tougher but good transport & options and the same problem with B & Bs (quoted one bed left in bunkhouse £15 for bed only or bed in main house £75 + meals, they were not impressed when I asked how Butcher Cumberland had missed them)
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Wed 30th Jun 2010, 17:09
Local Group: Marches
A lot of the stiles on the Offas Dyke path are now being replaced with kissing gates - so its even more attractive. Wouldn't recommend West Highland Way unles you like walking alongside a busy road.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Wed 30th Jun 2010, 16:39
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Claire
I did a large part of Offa's Dyke two years ago and apart from the many stiles loved the route and the scenery. I would recommend this to you, varied and with plenty of interest.
Good Luck, John
Posted: Wed 30th Jun 2010, 13:50
Hi All

My husband and I completed are first long distance walk in early june this year, we did the Coast to Coast and loved every single minute of it. Granted the weather was especially kind to us.

We are now in a quandry as to what to tackle next. We've shortlisted the following:
Pembrokeshire coastal path
Offas dyke (full)
West highland way followed by the Great Glen Way
And finally a section of the Southwest coastal path.

I'm looking at Easter/May bank holiday next year as there are 3 bank holidays within a 2 week period giving a nice long break without taking too many days off work.

What would you recommend?

Claire

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law