Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Yorkshire three peaks

Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Tue 25th May 2010, 18:14
Local Group: East Yorkshire
This should be fairly straight forward.
Accommodation is plentiful. There is a camp site, two pubs (The Crown & Golden Lion) and several B&Bs in Horton in Ribblesdale. Public transport links are reasonable and include the Settle / Carlisle line.
The ascent of Pen-y-Ghent from Horton in Ribblesdale by the Pennine Way is clear and easy. It should not take too long. Alternatively, if you approach from the south there is a very short scamble near the top.
You can use the railway to reach Ribblehead to tackle Whernside and Ingleborough. Walk back to Horton in Ribblesdale by the traditional Three Peaks route. The Station at Ribblehead and Hill Inn at Chapel-le-Dale will provide welcome refreshment. Navigation is easy, thanks to (mostly) clear and well maintained paths. The direct ascent of Whernside from Winterscales Farm should be avoided for environmental issues, and its steep!
Overall, a not too demanding expedition, I'm certain that you will enjoy it. Good luck.
Author: Andrew Gillard
Posted: Sun 23rd May 2010, 21:28
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I'm looking to walk the Yorkshire three peaks (not the challange but over a weekend, maybe one on the Fridat and two on the Saturday) - has anyone got any good suggestions of a good camp site I could use as a base camp. Also anyone got a any suggestions on which to do first etc.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law