Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Woldsman 2011

Author: Tim Hughes
Posted: Sun 15th May 2011, 19:58
Local Group: Marches
Out in the pouring rain today I was agreeing with a.n.other that the forum is under-used, but I've resolved to post something rather than moan.
As one of the final group of Woldsman finishers I'd like to echo the earlier congratulations on an excellent event, a good route in lovely countryside and very well organised. Four completions for me now and no sign of boredom setting in - well done to all who put in the hard work for our enjoyment!
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Tue 10th May 2011, 20:17
Local Group: East Yorkshire
The finishers' list for Woldsman 2011 is on the East Yorkshire LDWA website.
Follow the link on the home page to "challenge walks", then follow a second link, found just above the photograph.
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Tue 26th Apr 2011, 15:26
Local Group: High Peak
Thanks once again to East Yorkshire for organising another wonderful event, aided by perfect walking weather!

Will the results be coming out by e-mail this year?
Author: Simon Broughton
Posted: Sun 17th Apr 2011, 18:52
just a quick post to say what a fabulous event the woldsman was , cracking weather and views and first class hospitality and excellent catering, particularly at the village halls and the cheeky banter from a couple of certain young ladies at the huggate check point :-)
a big thankyou and well done on a cracking event to all concerned
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 17th Apr 2011, 18:07
Local Group: Surrey
A fine wander through the Wolds: Excellent weather, dry underfoot, beautiful scenery – a highlight was striding up Rabbit Dale with the setting sun lighting the grass of the north-west slope with a rich green. To add further interest we were taken past ruined churches and barns, and though the evocative remains of the lost medieval village of Wharram Percy.

Thanks EYLDWA for hosting this and particularly for the excellent catering and friendly welcome.
Author: Simon Broughton
Posted: Fri 15th Apr 2011, 14:20
Weathers looking good for it , best get bag ready I suppose :-)
Author: Graham Lightowler
Posted: Wed 30th Mar 2011, 21:06
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks again Paul
Posted: Wed 30th Mar 2011, 18:55
Explorer 294, 295 & 300 cover the Woldsman route.
Posted: Wed 30th Mar 2011, 15:20
Does anyone know the numbers of the 1:25 000 explorer maps that will cover the whole Woldsman route please?
Posted: Wed 2nd Mar 2011, 17:17
Thank you Ian & W.Paul, I have entered and will await route to be sent. Thanks for your replies
Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 11:07
Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 11:07
Graham,
As Ian indicates in his post, Woldsman route descriptions are usually distributed to entrants by email,only a week or so before the Event. Some small sections cross private land with access negotiated for the day. Hence, walking out the entire route before the Event is discouraged. I can supply a draft copy now, but remember some minor details may change.
Please contact me by email paul@tremere.karoo.co.uk.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2011, 8:50
Graham,

I do not know if you can get the route before you enter, but I've a list of checkpoints if that helps.

1, 6.75 Danes Graves 022634 D

2, 13,5 Sledmere Village Hall 936648 H

3, 20.5 Wharram Percy 866644 D

4, 25 Thixendale Village Hall 842611 M

5, 31.5 Givendale Scout Hut 818538 H

6, 36.5 Huggate Wold 865547 D

7, 42 Wetwang Methodist Hall 932591 H

8, 46.5 Garton Crossroads 980577 D

D = drinks, H = hot drinks and snacks, M = drinks, meal.

If you look at my last post below and look at the photo's, because how Geograph is laid out using OS maps you should easy work out the route from my photo's. Every one taken on Sunday 27th Feb, bar 4 taken to the south of Thixendale are of the route. Today I will post more photo's to make it even easier for you to work out the first 25 miles. Been told I'm doing the next 18 miles, week after next so you will be able see the next set of photo's in 2 weeks.

ian.
Posted: Mon 28th Feb 2011, 21:38
Is the route available in advance for the woldsman please?
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Mon 28th Feb 2011, 12:49
For those walkers/runners that have not done it yet. I did the first 25 miles yesterday and took some photo's on the way round. If you want to see what the route looks like, go to..............

www.geograph.org.uk

Search for my name ian s and click on the photo's submitted on the 27 and 28 of February.

ian sykes.
Posted: Mon 28th Feb 2011, 12:12
Just to remind you that Woldsman 2011 is on 16th April.
Details are in previous posts in this thread.
Come and enjoy East Yorkshire's distinctive countryside and our group's hospitality.
Posted: Thu 22nd Jul 2010, 15:23
I went to Driffield Show yesterday. A great day out! It reminded me that entry forms for Woldsman on 16th April 2011, are now available from eyldwa_entries@btinternet.com or 27 Main Street, North Frodingham, Driffield, YO25 8JX.
Not only is the Woldsman an ideal warm up (or qualifier?) for the Hundred, but a good introduction to longer walks for those who have not attempted this distance before, 93% of starters completed the event in 2010.
There is plenty of space at the Showground, 30,000 people were there yesterday. Camping or floorspace is usually available on the Friday, but this must be booked in advance. Driffield has good public transport links and there are plenty of affordable B&Bs in the area. I promise that you will be well looked after and are unlikely to go hungry.
The rolling chalk hills of the Yorkshire Wolds, with a "big sky" inspired David Hockney to capture the distinctive landscape in a series of recent paintings.
All this for £14! A bargain, even for a Yorkshireman!
Posted: Wed 12th May 2010, 19:51
See you then Paul. The Gaffer likes Scarborough at that time of year and I just hope the road works on the A1 are fixed by then.
Posted: Wed 12th May 2010, 19:36
Woldsman 2011 will take place on Saturday 16th April. It will follow the now well established format, starting from Driffield Showground at 8 o'clock. Entry forms will be available in the autumn.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law