Annual General Meeting of Long Distance Walkers Association
Over the last twenty years the Association has combined its Annual General Meeting with a walking/social weekend. Thanks to a lot of hard work by the Organisers the weekend has become a very popular event. The weekend includes a walking programme which caters for all abilities, a Gala Dinner, Barn Dance, a Speaker and the Annual General Meeting.
Geoff Saunders (MerseyStride) worked wonders consistently over 11 years finding good quality hotels with leisure facilities at very reasonable prices. Reg Kingston took over from him in 2010 and organised very successful AGM weekends for the following five years – Skipton (2010), Axbridge (2011), Grange over Sands (2012), Malvern (2013) and Harrogate (2014) and they were all very well supported. Katie Hunt has organised the AGM weekend at Sutton Scotney in 2015 and Buxton in 2016.
2017 LDWA AGM and Social Weekend – Friday 10th to Sunday 12th March 2017
The 2017 LDWA AGM will be held at Horwood House, Little Horwood, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK17 0PH. The venue is a charming hotel nestled in the heart of beautiful Buckinghamshire. Set in 38 acres of landscaped gardens Horwood House combines vintage appeal with modern facilities in a beautiful countryside setting. There is a leisure complex with pool and gym for your use during the weekend. The Beds, Bucks & Northants Group have been working very hard to put together a programme of walks and activities which we will all enjoy, with some of the walks going into the Chilterns, a beautiful area for walking.
Hotel registration from 3pm.
LDWA registration area will include the AGM Agenda; Walk Details with maps and the lunch bookings; Gala Dinner Seating Plan and a Wine List.
A buffet meal will be served from 7.00 pm until 8.30 pm
After the meal, join in with a quiz evening again hosted by Steven and Pearl Smith and Norman Corrin from Beds, Bucks & Northants Group.
Full English Breakfast will be served from 7.00 am
A Walk – 23 Miles - Leaves at 8.00 am – Led by David Findel-Hawkins and Merrian Lancaster
Leave Horwood House by coach to Little Gaddesden. Return via Ivinghoe Beacon (visiting the BBN founders Memorial Bench); Horton Wharf and then towards Mentmore Towers, to Wing Village Hall for lunch; Cublington; Dunton; Mursely and back to Horwood House.
B Walk – 18.2 Miles - Leaves at 8.30 am – Led by Teresa Brown
From Horwood House to Mursley; Dunton; Cublington. Wing Village Hall for lunch; Mentmore Towers; Horton Wharf; Ivinghoe (visiting the BBN Founders Memorial Bench); Pitstone Memorial Hall – collected by coach.
C Walk – 15 Miles - Leaves at 9.00 am – Led by Sylvie Eames
Leave Horwood House to Addington; Verney Junction; Winslow (first Wellington crash); Swanbourne; Mursley (second Wellington crash); Horwood House (third Wellington crash). Lunch will be at The Bell Hotel, Winslow. Norman Smith from BBN has been helping Sylvie recce the walk. He was a pilot in Sudan mostly doing agricultural flying and was an obsessive glider. That explains why there are a lot of Wellington crashes …. Please note change of pub.
D Walk –10 Miles - Leaves at 9.30 am – Led by Frances Craven
Leave Horwood House to Winslow, Swanbourne and Mursley. Lunch will be at The Green Man, Mursley. Please note change of pub.
E Trip – Departs 10.00 am – Led by Dianne Sutton
Our route will be visiting Woodhill Prison and the (in)famous concrete cows, The Peace Pagoda on Willen Lake – a Buddhist monument to World Peace. We will then reach our main destination – Bletchley Park. History was made at Bletchley Park with the work of Alan Turing and the code breakers whose work it is said shortened World War II by 2 years. The park will provide a really interesting day out. There are Cafes on site where lunch can be obtained. Entry to the Park will cost approximately £14 per person.
Please note that as a coach is being used for Walks A and B and the Trip, we will be asking members for a payment towards the cost of the coach. Lunch at Wing Village Hall will be provided by BBN Group, but again a payment will be asked. Lunch will be arranged at the Public Houses we use for the other walks. All these payments will be taken on the Friday afternoon. Please ensure that you visit the BBN Group Table at the LDWA registration on Friday afternoon to get full details.
Saturday Evening: Gala Dinner 7.00 pm for 7.30 pm
Followed by a Talk by Richard Bradbury – Editor of Chiltern Magazine and ex Strider Editor
Full English Breakfast from 8.00 am.
The AGM starts promptly at 10.00 am.
Note: The AGM Booklet and The Story So Far 1972-2016 will be available here in due course.
Tea/Coffee and Biscuits around 12.30 pm.
Notes for Booking Form
PLEASE REMEMBER: There is a two stage booking process: You can download the booking form here (Excel).
Stage 1 Book your accommodation requirements direct with the Horwood House. This can be done by mailing the top part of the booking form direct to Horwood House Hotel, Little Horwood, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK17 0PH.
OR by telephone - 01296 722316. Remember to quote “Long Distance Walkers Association” when you book to get the specially negotiated group booking rates.
Stage 2 Post the bottom part of the booking form to the AGM Organiser, Katie Hunt, Speedwell Farm Bungalow, Nettle Bank, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire PE14 0SA or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember to do BOTH parts of the booking process to ensure your booking is complete.
1. The package costs £122.50 per person and includes Dinner, Bed and Full English Breakfast for 2 nights for Twin or Double Rooms and £153.50 per person for a Single Room. If you want to book a twin room to share with another member, it would be helpful if you could name the person you want to share with, otherwise the hotel will make the decision for you.
2. Anyone wanting to stay on the Thursday or Sunday night, the rate is £85 per room for a single room on each night or £95 per room for twin or double occupancy. This is based on Bed and Full English Breakfast.
3. When you book, your credit card details will be taken. At this stage there will be no deposit taken, and the total cost will be payable on arrival at the hotel. But please be aware that cancellations can be made up to 28 days before the event without charge. However if you cancel 28 days or less before the event, your credit card will be used to take 90% of the cost of the weekend. If you prefer to pay by cheque, then when you make your booking, you will be required to pay £30. The balance will be payable on arrival at the hotel.
4. When posting part two of the form to the AGM Organiser, please enclose a stamped addressed A5 envelope so that the Gala Dinner Menu can be sent to you for you to make your selection at least two weeks prior to the event.
5. Anyone wishing to attend either the Friday night dinner or Saturday Gala Dinner only can do so by booking this with the AGM Organiser – Katie Hunt. The cost is £25 per guest on each evening. Local members and their families will be very welcome to join us.
6. If any member has any special requirements or would like to book a family room, please contact the hotel direct. Meals will have both gluten free and vegetarian options to select from.
7. Only assistance dogs are allowed to stay in the hotel.