Rollin', rollin', rollin'

By the Golf Course Healey Dell Looking towards Peel Tower On Rooley Moor Road On the Walk Start of Walk Striding Out Waugh's Well

The Red Rose Walk 2. 21st April. Wardle To Ramsbottom. Walkers: 21. Mileage 15.8. Time 6 hours.

Today's section of the walk started at the village of Wardle,heading west to reach the Pennine bridle way near to Lobden golf course.The bridle way here is at over 300m, so that gave us excellent views over the surrounding countryside. Our next objective was Rooley Moor Road,built to keep local men busy during the cotton famine caused by the American Civil War.It's a 200m climb to the highpoint of the road passing the ruins of the Moorcock Inn,which was one of the highest inns in the country before ending its days during the last war as a target for artillery practice.

Keeping to high ground with views of Pen-y-gent and Ingleborough we made our way to Waugh's Well for lunch(a Google search will give you more details of this Lancashire poet) We then followed Grain Brook to join the Coal Road(used to transport coal from the drift mines on Whittle Pike), reaching the ruined farmhouse of Paradise, and then following Cheesden Brook to meet the Edenfield Road.

We then crossed Harden Moor to reach the ruins of Grant's Tower, built by the Grant Brothers, the main mill owners in Ramsbottom in the 1830's. The walk continued through Nuttall Park to reach our cars,take our boots off and continue another 40 yd's to reach the Hare and Hounds pub for a well earned drink,and talk of the sections to come.

Spanner’s Round - Sunday 26th April 2010 Leader: Jake Clark

Twenty fellow members along with two K9 companions joined Jake Clark at Jumbles Reservoir as he led his first LDWA walk for the East Lancashire Group on Spanner’s Round, a walk originally designed and pioneered by Derek Magnall. Alf Clark, who had recc’d the walk and was due to be deputy leader with Jake unfortunately had to send his apologies as he was stuck in a foreign land as a result of the Icelandic volcano eruption.

The morning mist hung majestically over Jumbles as the group began their walk around the first half of Jumbles reservoir. After completing the small stroll down the side of the twisty flowing river, the steep road section at Turton Bottoms had to be negotiated. This provided a good opening leg stretching opportunity.

Continuing alongside Wayoh magnificent views across the reservoir were had as the morning mist rose to join the stunning sky. As the morning progressed Jake set a brisk pace passing the Strawberry Duck pub (which for some, unfortunately, was closed) and the camping barn, which is still for sale; layers of clothing were being peeled away as temperatures steadily climbed. Descending down to Bold Venture farm where three angry barking dogs disturbed the peace and quiet of the morning; at the same time harassing the two fine dogs that were accompanying members of the group.

The morning break was taken after the small climb up Broadhead after some minor grumblings from decanters within the group about the lateness of the stop. Jake, possibly the youngest member of our group ever to lead a walk, rallied the troops and continued past two deserted farmhouses that having been being renovated for the past twenty five years still await completion. Here an unruly rebellion consisting of five people headed by Mike took a slight detour over marshy ground, rejoining the group 100 yards further along the route taken by the leader and the majority. After negotiating a tricky farm where once an irate dog guarded, we passed along a road where recent forestry work had taken place. After following this for a short amount of time, a muddy path was followed before an ascent over wet moorland. Here good views were obtained of the valley recently traversed and the location we were heading towards, Hog Lowe pike. Unfortunately one of the dogs was again harassed, this time by getting to close to an electric fence. Ouch !!!

An uphill section to Hog Lowe Pike passed where a new farmhouse built a few years ago caused a slight variation from Derek’s original walk with access to an adjoining field now denied. Here two motley members rebelled once more, Mike and Andy, by remaining at the bottom of the pike, waiting for the group a little further along the way as the group descended back down on their way towards Haslingden Grane.

Calf Hey and Ogden reservoirs were passed adding to the wonderful views the group had enjoyed together with the fine weather which was still holding fair at this point. A track was then followed up the hillside to Musbury Heights where Musbury chimney was standing after being blown down during Derek’s last performance of Spanners Round. Lunch was taken around 12.45pm sitting on the site of a ruined farmhouse a little past the Heights.

Post lunch, Jake led at a more leisurely pace across fields to Tor Hill and then through an awkward section of styles and fences which were relocated to their present position a few years ago after a new gas pipe was laid across the entire valley area. A large number of friendly sheep and delightful lambs were negotiated in the fields prior to a rather uncomfortable rocky farmers track.

At the head of Alden Brook as we started to climb, gentle rain began falling cooling the warm walkers but eventually becoming persistent enough to require the donning of waterproofs. There was a distinct lack of ‘spirits’ as the infamous Two Crosses checkpoint, the ‘naughty corner’ was passed which prompted several jokes amongst the group. Pilgrim’s Cross and Peel Tower were negotiated at a fast pace and a brief break taken after crossing Holcombe Moor just before entering the ever steeper Redisher Wood. Here Jake had no option but to assert his authority as for a second time, Andy decided to disregard the leader’s position.

Passing close by the final CP of the Two Crosses walk, we crossed some field systems prior to hitting the road at Hawkshaw where once a large prominent old chimney and mill stood which has now been demolished to make way for luxury flats. Descending to the bottom of the valley and Two Brooks Farm, then to start the long but steady climb up to Affetside. At this point the group was headed by park ranger Pete and speedy Dave Shepherd.

After a brief regroup at the peaceful Affetside village green, we descended back down into Jumbles. Here we picked up a muddy path that ran parallel with a recently developed rock climbing destination and the final ascent of the day up the steps leading into Jumbles car park We returned satisfied after an excellent walk at five past four. The group returned not too muddy and not too wet having had a delightful and enjoyable walk. Well done first time supreme leader Jake. - Barbara and Gordon are going to update the original route description with the various changes that have occurred over the years and post it on the website.

At Peel Tower Follow the path Mist over water Over the Moor Quick stop Towards the reservoir