Onward and Upward

Down into Brennand Vale Hardy Army Gathers Old Comrade in Slaidburn Sheep Attack
Two Roses Way Part 6, 23rd September 2009

Moderate, who said moderate?

Twenty one gullible, sorry, hardy souls set off in eager anticipation of a grand day out and that’s what we got.

To be fair we were warned that it was the toughest section of the Two Roses Way with four significant ascents, and so it came to pass.

The first challenge was Dunsop Fell but it was well worth it to find ourselves dropping down to the fair vale of the Brennand River, a truly lovely and remote spot.

This was a real moorland walk, with grouse aplenty and few signs of civilisation. Some of us were even moved to burst into song with a rendition of ‘The Manchester Rambler’ although some looked askance at the idea of us being ramblers – nowt wrong with that if you ask me.

We then tackled Ouster Rake then followed Langden Brook to Langden Castle, ascending steeply to contour the valley of Fiendsdale Water. I must have spent a lot of time looking at the ground because I kept seeing lots of large, hairy, black caterpillars up on the moors, and also nearly stood on a field mouse.

Once at Fiendsdale Head we had the long slog along the fenceline towards Fairsnape, though to be fair it was a lot less boggy than it can be up there. I only saw one person in distress in the bog (you know who you are) which ain’t bad.

We then skirted the flanks of Fairsnape and Parlick to descend steeply to the cars at Fell Foot, stopping to gaze up in awe at the silent glider above us, playing on the stiff breeze like a hawk.

There was one final ascent – up the steps to the Sun Inn at Chipping for a jar or two. A good finish to an excellent day, and we only got wet on the inside!

Barbara Shelton


The Dad's Army Version

Stupid Boy was still away on Welsh manouvres so it's up to mum again to keep you up to date.

Today was Stamina Training day. Before that the first challenge was finding the meeting place with lots of lovely country lanes to get lost in. It must have foxed the bus driver as he was late in arriving. A long drive back to Slaidburn meant that it was nearly 10.30 before we marched off with a tough walk ahead.

Sargeant Wilson and Private Hushon decided to fight a rearguard action so Ian stepped forward to ably lead us onwards and upwards. He had obviously been taught by a hard taskmaster as there was no loitering on the hills and no morning coffee break. Mutiny at the back was avoided by a lovely view in a sheltered spot at lunchtime. Just before lunch we met another army, of sheep, but these were successfully repelled.

Not everyone was successful in negotiating the peat hags and bogs on the top towards Fairsnape Fell. "Man Down " was the cry, wet legs the result with three of the army managing to sink and go home with the smell of "eau de bog" about them.

At the end we thought enemy aircraft was approaching but it was one of ours, a friendly glider. The sun shone over Blackpool as we descended Parlick and most people returned to Chipping for a well earned pint.

What will the last outing for Dad's Army bring? Don't forget to look in a few weeks time.
Army in line Awesome view Homeward bound Rearguard in action View again Will John make it?