July Japes in the heat

Wednesday July 11th. All tracks lead to Hunter Bark. 13 miles. Leader: Norman Thomas.


16 walkers met at Settle on a morning similar to many experienced recently – comfortably warm with the prospect of getting hotter later.

The first part of the walk was one which most people would have done many times – northwards from Settle to Langcliffe and on to Stainforth passing some disused quarries and an impressive old limekiln on the way. At Stainforth Norman  made the decision to avoid the track to Catrigg Force (which was the route we had planned) in favour of taking the more shaded path which climbed above Stainforth Scar. This diversion involved some reduction in the overall length of the walk. At the top of the ascent welcome morning drinks were taken.


From Stainforth Scar the original route was re-joined at Upper Winskill. After a short section of tarmac a track was joined near Jubilee Cave which proceeded past Victoria Cave and Attermire Scar. Some cattle with their young were negotiated before climbing up to the summit of Sugar Loaf Hill where lunch was taken. This can quite often be a very windy spot but on this occasion was a comfortable place to stop.


Post-lunch the walk continued southwards first taking Lambert Lane and then a long track which eventually reached an area of disused quarries from where there was a short ascent to the little- known summit of Hunter Bark (315m). From the trig point a magnificent 360 degree view was obtained on this very clear day.


After descending from the trig point the walk went to High Mearbeck Farm and into Mearbeck Wood where the navigation can be somewhat problematic. However, having negotiated that part of the route, the way back to Settle was straightforward; passing Cleatop Park, Lodge Road and Fish Copy Barn before meeting minor roads at Upper Settle.


Most of the walkers retired to the Talbot PH after the walk for a much-needed drink, and some even stayed in town for fish and chips before setting off for home!




Click here for Howard's Pictures




Sunday  July 8th. Out for a Trot. 20 miles. Leader: Neil Smith.


13 walkers turned up to do the walk on a very warm and humid morning.

We set off in a westerly direction from Skirethorns lane before turning south up Grysdale lane, then continuing through fields and tracks to reach Cracoe. Crossing  the B6265 to pick up an enclosed track to Rylstone, where the farmer whose land we were passing through informed us of the fells being closed to public access. We said we were aware of the fact but thanked him anyway.

Surprisingly none of the ladies on the walk were aware of the connection between Rylstone and the calendar girls! From here having passed through Hetton we had a nice steady climb up Moor lane to our morning break at the top, followed by some trudging following an overgrown path to High Bucker House, and a little bit of tarmac for a very short distance to Lainger House.

Here we left the track to forge through more undergrowth to firstly Bordley Hall and then Bordley House farm,to get to an early lunch stop on Mastiles lane and an opportunity to empty the boots of grass seed. Mastiles  lane was then used to get us to Kilnsey and Conistone with another steady ascent to the Dales Way and an afternoon break in Grassington, where everybody found their own form of refreshment. A discussion was taken when everyone was refreshed to check if they were ok to do the whole of the recced route.

This was agreed due to having some cloud cover earlier in the day and we continued out on High lane to Hebden, turning back at the suspension bridge, along the river Wharfe heading towards Threshfield. Passing the Costa Del Linton on the way, those on the walk will understand this observation.

Thank you to everyone for coming especially new faces Tony (South Manchester) and his brother Steve (Merseystride) and a lady I had not seen for a while, Kim.

With a special thank you to Howard for the pictures.



Click here for Howard's pictures.