2009 Walks

Kath's Boots After Kath's Boots before Over the Canal Start  of the walk
Wednesday January 14th. Leader Geoff Halliwell. 14 mls. Easy. Start 9.00am Rivington Lower Barn. Finish 3.00pm. 19 attended and 3 dogs. Early morning mist cleared to lovely winter sunshine. John Bullen turned up late as usual and Roy Davies came to tell us how soft we were all becoming. The route was alongside Anglezarke reservoir to White Coppice (drinks) then over Great Hill to Tockholes (lunch) subsequently following the Witton Weavers Way to Belmont and along the old Roman road back to Rivington. Afternoon tea in Lower barn, perhaps Roy is right! Wednesday January 28th. Leader Reg Kingston. 14mls. Moderate. Start 10.00am Worthington Lakes. Finish 4.40pm. After overnight rain some 30 walkers (and 2 dogs) set off for what almost certainly will be the muddiest walk of the year. The route followed the Lancashire Trail in reverse as far as the Wiggin Tree Inn on Parbold Hill where we had lunch. Up to this point many paths were a mud bath and walkers just waded through. Despite this and a mist that stayed with us till lunchtime, spirits remained high. Bill gave a commendable rendering of "Mud, mud, glorious mud." Over lunch the mist lifted and we experienced sunshine and enjoyed a pleasant walk along the Leeds-Liverpool canal as far as Crook. Here we sampled the ale at the canalside pub. The ale was highly rated by all that tried it, (brewed at the Wigan micro brewery, recently praised on TV). From Crook we made our way to the site of Standish Hall where a plaque explained that the last surviving member of the family died in 1924. The area, previously the site of coal mining but reclaimed and landscaped, is remarkably rural. After crossing the A49 we passed through a green estate down to and across Standish Golf course and back to the car park at Worthington Lakes. I felt very relieved that some 30 walkers had managed to find the start despite a Grid Reference somewhere in the Irish Sea, and that they all appeared to have enjoyed such a muddy walk. PS. Kath Page decided to break in her brand new boots - can you tell which is before and after the walk??? Sunday February 8th Leader Paul Allen. 20mls, moderate. Start 9.30am, Arnside Pier.Finish 4.45pm. What a superb walk - even the detours were breathtaking! Worries over lack of support due to the Two Crosses Party the night before were unfounded as 18 hardy souls - nine men, nine women - braved the snow, ice and cold. Their fortitude was well rewarded with a trek which sets a high standard early in the year. We set off from Arnside Pier along the Kent Estuary to round the Points of Blackstone, Arnside and Park. Lunch was taken overlooking the splendid Leighton Hall before the trail back to the cars over Leighton Moss,by Arnside Tower and over Arnside Knott. The latter is so named after two young lovers reputedly tied a knot in the branches of two young saplings. The evidence remains in the form of two dead trees entwined together. The snow was coming down with a vengeance towards the end but it certainly failed to dampen anyone's spirits. "Guests" on the day were Margaret and Alan Parker of the North Lancs, Frank Jennings of the Irregulars and Ruth Redmayne who has recently joined the LDWA.
And up the hill Arnside Pier Break at Gaitbarrow By the Kent Finish in the snow Over we go