KIRKBY STEPHEN CIRCULAR - 7.8.16

The walk started at the main car park in Kirkby Stephen with eight walkers of whom two were visitors from the east Lancashire Group.

After leaving the village we crossed the river at Frank’s Bridge and joined the former Penrith to Darlington railway east of Stankrith Bridge. We then proceeded along the track bed crossing over Podgill and Redgategill Viaducts until reaching the remains of Belah Viaduct – the highest bridge in England when it was built in 1860 .

The main steel section of the bridge was demolished in 1963 following closure of the line in 1962 and now only the stone abutments remain along with the remains of the signal box at the southwest end of the viaduct.

After leaving the former railway we passed through farmland returning to  Kirkby Stephen through the villages of Kaber and Winton.